Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off Auto-Launch? (Photos)

I want to turn off the 'auto launch' feature of Photos. I use other imaging software and the fact that Photos keeps popping up every time I plug in a card reader is an annoyance. Seems like there used to be a preferences option in iPhoto, but I don't see it in Photos.

So what's the trick?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac Mini

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 8:42 AM

When you plug in the card let Photos load. Then click on the card and you'll see a wee check box on the left hand side:

User uploaded file

2 replies

May 27, 2015 12:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

This will stop autolaunch per device, but what about preventing universal auto launching for various cameras/flash drives etc? I've tried testing out a few strings such as:

defaults write com.apple.Photos canAutoLaunch = 0

defaults write com.apple.Photos shouldAutoLaunch = 0

with no luck so far. I'm not even sure what service to do killall on to test, rebooting to test is kinda overkill. Activity Monitor shows the following with "photo" as the search term:

Photos Agent

com.apple.CloudPhotosConfiguration
Photolibraryd

com.apple.photomoments

com.apple.photomodel

Photos

I've tried doing a defaults read on Photos Agent and so on even escaping characters and other variations and whatever with no luck.

Can anyone figure out or know the proper string to achieve desired effect?

Turn off Auto-Launch? (Photos)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.