Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image mask

I am working on a custom sized video in FCPX. File size is 8150 x 1200. Everything seems to go on but image mask, when i load a same size png mask is appears stretched. I test it on a standard video size 4K and it works fine. Is image mask not working with custom files?

I often work on those kind of products and i should fix the problem

thank you for your help.

Aldo

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 9:57 AM

7 replies

Apr 16, 2015 12:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you Tom for your fast reply. At the following link you can find the png mask i am trying to use in my project.

If i apen a project in any of the standard video formats 2K 4K 5K resizing the mask, image mask effect works properly, but in the custom size.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd8ll9gbcq5qn0u/MASK_sculpture.png?dl=0

I appreciate very much your help.

Aldo

Apr 16, 2015 5:09 AM in response to Aldodirusso

I tried using the file you posted as an image mask on a 8150x1200 project and I got similar results as you did.

Although the image used as a mask is the same size as the project, it got stretched horizontally, producing "fat" people.

However, placing the same image on the timeline as a regular clip does not stretch it.

This suggests a workaround, that in my limited testing seems to work. (emphasis on workaround, since I believe it should not be necessary).

Connect your would-be-mask above the clip, and change its blend mode to stencil alpha.

Apr 16, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That's the correct way to do it. If Aldodirusso wants to use the image mask effect, a copy would have to be opened in Motion and the project reshaped to the custom aspect ratio. The effect using a mask can adjust the size of the project but not it's aspect ratio to a non-standard aspect. It would probably be easy enough to do in Motion if a lot of these are required.

Apr 18, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I tested the workaround procedure using stencil alpha and it works fine. I can procede in the production. what i mean is that if fcpx can work with custom aspect ratio and image mask is a standard tool and i do not find any documentation that says "cannot work with any size", i was aspecting it works fine.

Anyway thank you to everybody for your help.

image mask

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.