Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel driver control panel missing option to disable "display power saving technology"

I own mac mini and when I'm using windows x64 8.1 through bootcamp, I experience a brightness flickering when switching between dark and bright windows. I initially thought that it was due to some weird bug, but after searching for an entire day, I believe the culprit is actually a deemed "feature" of the intel hd 4000 graphics driver called "display power saving technology". I've downloaded the latest drivers (version 15.33.35.64.4176) from intel website on this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24826/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Win dows-7-8-8-1-64-bit, but my intel control panel does not display the option to turn on/off "display power saving technology", only to tune it to maximize battery life, balance or maximum performance. I've posted this question on intel forums (https://communities.intel.com/thread/63210), but they recommended me to use the apple support channel.

Is there a way to disable this option on a mac mini? It's very annoying as it messes the colors from the windows and I'm feeling frustrated by this.

My mac os has all latest updates installed. I'm running yosemite.

Thanks

Mac mini, Windows 8, x64

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 11:16 AM

8 replies

Apr 11, 2015 5:23 PM in response to pagina8

What year is your Mac Mini? Installing generic Intel drivers can cause worse problems. Does this happen with the Apple-provided BC drivers?

You can find the original Apple BC drivers from System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp - Apple Support.

Did you have these problems when the original BC drivers were installed? Automatic Windows update can replace drivers, which can also cause issues.

Apr 15, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Loner T

I only have one hdmi monitor, which is an lg 23ea53. I don't believe this is an issue with the monitor though, because if I switch to the windows generic video driver instead of the intel supplied one, the brightness issue disappears.

I've also noticed another issue that might be related to this, but I couldn't test it properly. Opening web pages with certain flash content freezes my mac. Video content I believe. But that's not really important for me at the moment, only the brightness flickering.

May 24, 2015 12:47 PM in response to pagina8

MacMini with bootcamp. I'm in a similar situation for weeks. The automatic screen dimming makes me very frustrated. It spent me hours to nail down the issue on Intel Display Driver eventually.

No “Automatic Display Brightness” option under the “Power” tab for me either.

The issue only involve when I using a complete black background. The overall illumination is low. Intel dims the screen automatically. When I open a new window, the screen turns bright again.

My work around on the issue is using a “grey” background instead of pure black at this moment…

Intel driver control panel missing option to disable "display power saving technology"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.