Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reduce the size of the MASTERS folder inside Photos?

I was trying to find out why my Photos app database is SO large. I have 8 gig of jpg photos.

I chose to NOT copy them when I imported them into Photos.

Yet my Photos app database is 8g as well! That's a lot of space to use when I didn't even copy the JPG into it.

So I went hunting to learn what was going on.

You can go to your Pictures Folder and find the Photos Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Here is what I found:

• The "Masters" folder is very small. 300MB.
  • The "Previews" folder is a similar size.
  • "Thumbnails" are under 1G.
  • It's the "Resources" folder that is many gigs in size.

Very interesting. So in a sense, it could be even worse!

• That is, apparently the setting prevented the "Masters" folder from getting 8 gig of photos copied into it.
  • But even so, "Resources" ended up with 6.5G in it -- even though no files were copied!
  • Wild.
  • Other photo management apps (e.g., Lightroom) have sort of a 10% overhead, not a 90% overhead -- i.e., close to the same size as the actual photos themselves.

I should probably start a fresh question, now that you have solved half the mystery: Yes, the actual photos were not imported into Masters, but Resources gets really big!

So here is my question: What the heck is going on with RESOURCES? How can I make that folder smaller? I mean, at this point, if I were to choose to import all my photos, it looks like that would double the size of my Photos installation. Of course, I'm not going to do that. Because, already, I don't have enough space for everything on my hard drive. And Photos, even when not importing, takes up a lot of space.

I need to get this folder under control. How can I?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 11:06 AM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2015 12:09 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry, I meant RESOURCES folder, not MASTERS. My question is correct, but the topic title needs editing!

Masters can be controlled easily -- Don't copy on import.

But the Resources folder is almost as big as my complete photo library. That means, when using the PHOTOS app, I need twice as much hard drive space -- which isn't going to happen on my Mac Air any time soon 😟

Apr 11, 2015 10:09 PM in response to Kappy

Cool article, but not relevant.

I did not import from iPhoto nor Aperture.

I have my photos as JPEG files in a folder on my hard drive.

Photos, the app, did not make any duplicates. Rather, it made a giant Resources folder, almost as big as my folder of Image files.

FInder Info confirms the size increase and lost capacity on my hard drive.

But I appreciate the link. That could certainly give someone the same impression.

How can I reduce the size of the MASTERS folder inside Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.