Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k @ 60hz?

Ars Technica has reviewed this machine and using a third-party dongle managed to get the new Macbook to drive a 4k display at 30Hz through MST mode.

Apple's own support page states that you can get 4k @30Hz through HDMI using their own USB-C Digital AV adapter, but you can also get 60Hz via SST.

What can the machine actually do? I'm fine with just one port and slightly lower performance but I would like to hook it up to a 4k display when I'm at home so I can use it as a desktop. Any information? The available info out there seems really inconsistent and it'd be great to get some real world confirmation.

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 11:06 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 4:36 AM in response to mscq

mscq, in reality its not possible to get 4k @60Hz through HDMI using their own USB-C Digital AV adapter even by using MST or SST mode.

The maximum refresh rate that can be achieved on the new macbook when connected to a 4k display under Yosemite will be limited to maximum “ 30 Hz."

See this information directly from the Apple website:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So, officially the new macbook doesn’t support 4k resolution at 60 Hz refresh rate.

Hope this helps.....

Apr 30, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Grane Duke

If I get the Hydradock listed on Kickstart it says I can hook of either of the following at 60Hz:

one Mini DisplayPort connection at up to 2560x1440 pixels, 60Hz refresh rate; or, one HDMI connection at up to 1920x1080 pixels, 60Hz refresh rate.

Neither of these are 4K. My question is should I buy a monitor with max 2560x1440 pixels or can I buy a 4k monitor and set it somehow to run at 2560x1440 pixels 60Hz for now until next year when a newer macbook might support 4k 60Hz?

Thanks

4k @ 60hz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.