Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 keyboard shortcuts. Old bug reappeared.

This problem started with iOS 8 for iPad but was fixed eventually with iOS 8.1.1

Now with iOS 8.3 it's reappeared.

Basically the problem is that the keyboard shortcuts list you create in Settings | General | Keyboard | Shortcuts don't function after a reboot of iPad.

You have have to go into the list after a reboot and just edit any one of the shortcuts and save it. Now the shortcuts will work, until you reboot again that is!

was pleased when this was fixed in 8.1.1. Please fix it again Apple.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 12:04 PM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2015 9:03 PM in response to lastcoyote

Yes, I discovered that editing my list of Keyboard/Shortcuts reactivates them all. Did NOT realize until you just pointed it out that a reboot would disable them all again, D'oh!

Another Shortcut failure, my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard can no longer replicate triple tap Home button to trigger Accessibility. I can still triple tap the Home button on my iPad as an Accessibility shortcut, but on the keyboard, it registers only as a double tap.

In addition, the screen brightness function keys on my Logitech bluetooth keyboard have never worked with my iPad, although the corresponding F keys on Apple's Bluetooth keyboard supposedly do. Just one more thing I wish Apple would fix.

Apr 17, 2015 2:41 PM in response to lastcoyote

I have this problem too. It appears to be triggered by the use of the Emoji Keyboard rather than a reboot, as my iPhone5 is not switched off, whereas my iPad Air 2 is, & the bug reappears intermittently on both. My guess is that the revamp of the Emoji Keyboard in iOS 8.3 is the cause of this bug.

The Keyboard Shortcuts are sometimes not recognised when the "shortcut" is typed. Either no phrase appears, or something totally alien!

As lastcoyote says, the temporary fix is to Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts and go through the rigmarole of pretending to Edit one, then tap Save.

It is so frustrating to have this problem reappear again. I hope Apple fix it soon!!

iOS 8.3 keyboard shortcuts. Old bug reappeared.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.