Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple won't accept my email for change to Apple ID

My Apple ID is my work email address, but I'll be leaving in a few weeks so I want to change it to my personal email, which is xxx@btinternet.com. Apple won't accept this. It tells me I already have an account in that name or it's otherwise not an email I can use. As far as I know I have never set this up as an Apple ID, and I certainly don't have a login for it.

What do I do?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Late 2013 15" model

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 11:55 AM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Ian Lancaster

Howdy Ian,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you'd like to change your Apple ID to another email account, but that email is already associated with another account. You can search using the instructions below to find which account that email is tied to, and then remove it if it is an alternate or rescue email.

How to find your Apple ID - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Apr 14, 2015 3:02 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for the try, Alex, but that doesn't work.

In the findmyid fields, if I enter the current email I want to replace, it takes me to reset password. If I enter the email I now want to use, it tells me it can't find that Apple ID. But if login under the current email and then try to reset it to the one I want to use, it tells me that is already in use.

Catch 22! Or do I mean Kafka!!

Apr 17, 2015 8:23 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks Alex, but this is very frustrating. I've registered a Case with Apple Support (UK, I assume) and asked for an instant call. I have now received that call several times, but every time I press "1" to speak to someone it cuts me off. I get a thank you message, telling me the delay is under 2 minutes, I'm told the call will be recorded, then it either cuts off immediately or after half a second of music.

This is a loop I cannot get out of. So can you contact the people running this system and get it checked?

Thanks.

Apple won't accept my email for change to Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.