Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show file name as the title for a photo in Photos app

If my memory is correct in iPhoto when you hovered the cursor over a photo it displayed the title assigned to the photo, but if you had not assigned a title it showed the file name. In Photos app the only way I have found to see the file name is in the info panel. Other wise it only shows untitled when you hover over the photo. You can copy/paste in the info pane but thats a pain if you have hundreds of pics with no title. I only named a few in iPhoto as I preferred to see the file name assigned by the camera. Any one know if it's possible to see file name and not untitled?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 10:47 AM

But there have been major improvements and additions to Photos.

As for the metadata one should go to the View ➙ Metadata menu and check all of the metadata they want to observe about a photo.

User uploaded file

Most are only viewable in the Info pane for each photo but the Title field can be viewed beneath the thumbnail images in each view:

User uploaded file

However, to get the file name to appear below the thumbnail one will need to use one of these user provided AppleScripts: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filename w/Extension or Script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension

It and other scripts are available in the Photos for Mac User Tips. These will help you in transitioning from iPhotos to Photos and understand the new Photos:

will help you in your transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Photos 3.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Moments in Photos are the New Events.

External Editors in Photos Are Here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

You can download a compiled version of the scripts as an application from this tutorial site: P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

User uploaded file

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2017 10:47 AM in response to SailaR

But there have been major improvements and additions to Photos.

As for the metadata one should go to the View ➙ Metadata menu and check all of the metadata they want to observe about a photo.

User uploaded file

Most are only viewable in the Info pane for each photo but the Title field can be viewed beneath the thumbnail images in each view:

User uploaded file

However, to get the file name to appear below the thumbnail one will need to use one of these user provided AppleScripts: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filename w/Extension or Script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension

It and other scripts are available in the Photos for Mac User Tips. These will help you in transitioning from iPhotos to Photos and understand the new Photos:

will help you in your transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Photos 3.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Moments in Photos are the New Events.

External Editors in Photos Are Here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

You can download a compiled version of the scripts as an application from this tutorial site: P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2015 8:01 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I am with you Jim. I have the same problem. Please, don't ask me why Apple in its so too often wrong wisdom always tweaks something that is so simple and works for many of us (those who believe in the KISS principle - Keep It Short and Simple) but THEY have to screw it up again for the sake of what?? Changes? Updates? Better?. Yea right!!! Anyway, now I have to right mouse click on each photo, click info, and write down the name for each photos I want to import or copy. BRAVO, Apple you did it again. 😠

Show file name as the title for a photo in Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.