Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get OS X to use iPhoto on camera import instead of Photos?

Okay, have iPhoto 9.6.1 and can open iPhoto and all... but whenever I connect my camera to the computer to import photos, it always defaults to Photos. I want it to default to iPhoto. Is there a way to get it to stop using Photos by default? Can't rename or delete the Photos app. Have no Photos Library so I don't want to have to exit out of Photos and launch iPhoto every time I want to import new photos. I just want Photos to stay out of the picture entirely. Let iPhoto do what it used to do and stop trying to hijack everything.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), / 5870 / LED Cinema Display

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 3:05 PM

Easy peasy. Just go to iPhoto preferences/General and set iPhoto as default import by checking that "Connecting camera opens" "iPhoto" in the option box. Then delete the Photos library which has gobbled up a ton of your memory by duplicating your iPhoto library.

29 replies

Apr 12, 2015 10:15 AM in response to pmiles

pmiles wrote:

No, Photos creates it's own Library.

That is incorrect, it uses Hard links so it appears to be the size of the items linked, but that is not the size it occupies, Google Mac Hard Link

This part is appropriate.

"You would typically use a hard link when you want a single file object to appear in multiple places"

Apr 12, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Csound1

No, it actually creates its OWN library. I know this to be the case because you can import photos into iPhoto and they are not put into the Photos library and you can import photos into Photos and they are not put into the iPhoto library.

Plus, that 200GB Photos library when deleted, takes as long to delete as a 200GB file does. Trust me. You have two entirely separate libraries. It *may* create a Photos library when you first install the 10.10.3 update... that library is a migrated copy of your iPhoto library... hence the two physical libraries.

Apr 12, 2015 10:56 AM in response to pmiles

pmiles wrote:

No, it actually creates its OWN library. I know this to be the case because you can import photos into iPhoto and they are not put into the Photos library and you can import photos into Photos and they are not put into the iPhoto library.

That is correct, after you install Photos and set it as the default new photographs will not go to the iPhoto library (exactyly as expected) but the initial iPhoto library is represented by Hard Links not actual image files.

Believe what you want, it's your machine.

Apr 12, 2015 12:01 PM in response to pmiles

PMiles:

Hard links are used in Photos to prevent duplication of media. You can verify that yourself by exporting some of your library to a small USB drive, enough to more than half fill the drive, then using Option Open to create a Photos library from the exported one. You'll note everything fits on the small drive. The use of hard links (multiple names for the same file) is what allows Time Machine to keep many many dates worth of backups without duplicating files that have not changed between dates.

Also, here's a quote from David Pogues's review: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/everything-worth-knowing-about-switching-to-os-x-1101 29491789.html

"What’s wild is that Photos accesses your existing photo library. It doesn’t convert the original photos into some new format. You’ll be able to switch back and forth among the three programs — iPhoto, Aperture, Photos — without having to duplicate any files or use up any more disk space.

There is one big catch, however: Your library splits at the moment you install Photos.

After you first run Photos, when you edit, add, or delete any pictures, those changes show up only in the one program you’re using at the time. New pictures you add to Photos appear only in Photos; new pictures you add to iPhoto appear only in iPhoto, and so on. (You can easily export/import them if necessary.) Same thing with edits you make: They’re saved only in the program where you make those changes."

Apr 12, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Paul Jensen1

Well it's moot point for me as I use iPhoto, not Photos and there is no point in even having a Photos library on my machine (hard linked or otherwise). Honestly makes no sense to have a hard link to begin with if the "intention" is to have everyone use Photos and not iPhoto. People are going to delete one or the other... just human nature and common sense.

How do you get OS X to use iPhoto on camera import instead of Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.