Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset to Factory

I am having a problem with the camera on a 4s iPhone and have read a few posts here and it would seem the problem started with iOS 8. One suggestion is to reset to factory which I tried both through the reset function on the phone and also through iTunes however although it appears to have reset correctly and completely it still has iOS 8.3, so is not back to the factory settings which was an earlier version of iOS.

If it is not possible to reset back to an earlier iOS if I do a complete backup of my other iPhone 4s which is running iOS 7 can I restore it to the iOS 8.3 phone, and will it also restore the iOS version.

If neither of these will work is there any other fix for the camera issue. After a reset it will work until you try to change to the front camera and it freezes the app so no matter what you do nothing works. If you end the app and restart it it appears to be functional again but the screen is black and by selecting the icon to switch between front and rear cameras does nothing, You can change modes from Camera to photo to pano etc but the screen remains black. Rebooting with the home button plus the on/off or sleep button but the screen is still black when you go into the camera app. A factory reset does bring the rear camera back and it seems to work fine until you want to use the front camera and then you have to start all over. The camera does work as I installed an app for scanning QR and bar codes and the camera works fine in that app although it does not have a function to switch to the front camera so not sure if there is a problem with the front camera.

Thank you

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 12:47 PM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2015 1:21 PM in response to kb1951

The closest store is hundreds of miles away. There are a lot of other posts with this same issue and it appears to have started after updating to iOS 8, so it is certainly possible it is a hardware issue, but it seems given the number of similar posts if may be OS or app related.

This probably isn't the correct forum for this question but when you connect your iPhone and start iTunes, it sees the phone but under the heading "ON MY DEVICE" it does not show photos or videos taken with the phone and wondered why, or if there is a way to have it show all items that are on the phone?

May 6, 2015 10:24 AM in response to jackdup777

Hi do you have a solution yet?

I have followed most of the recommendations that I can find online and to no avail.

My Iphone 4s Front Facing Camera stopped working. I only really use it for Facetime so couldnt really say when it happened but its operating 8.3 update.

I completed a New Install on the 29th April 2015 and everything worked again.

Today I tried to use it and its back to being a problem. Specifically the camera works and when I try to flip it on to the forward facing camera it freezers - on occasion the camera even rotates to being on its side but it will not go to forward facing.

I am now trying to restore Factory settings and it is not fixing the camera.

Taking the phone back to Apple I doubt is an option without spending money on it as it isnt supported anymore under warranty.

Getting frustrated - any advice/experiences will help reduce my blundering around.

Thanks

J

Reset to Factory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.