Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture needs upgrading to work on Yosemite

The version of Aperture installed on Mac needs upgrading as not compatible with Yosemite, however search app store and says not available in UK. Spoke to Apple Store and was advised to download Aperture dmg file, but I cannot find a link that works. Worried that I have lost all my edited pics ;-/

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:22 PM

I believe that with Yosemite, Aperature and iPhoto are no longer supported. The only option is the Photo's App. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will pop by with an answer, but I don't think those are used any more.

14 replies

Apr 11, 2015 2:20 PM in response to ssschmidt

Thanks for answering. I know they are no longer supported, but was advised they would still work. Unfortunately not my version of Aperture. I only want to have it so I can transfer my edited pictures to photoshop, but am afraid I have lost them all now. Apple store seemed to think it will be easy to download a dmg file which would fix, but I can't find one anywhere. Perhaps I will go see them again

Thanks

Apr 11, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Edstar72

I had the same problem in the U.S. Aperture suddenly stopped working when I upgraded to Yosemite. When I try to open aperture, I'm told to download the latest version. But there is nothing to download.

Worse, then I try to import the Aperture library into Photos, I'm told it can't be done, that the library needs "repair." But every time I try to repair it, I get an error message AFTER FIVE HOURS that says it can't be repaired.

I have 400,000 images in Aperture. This is a major disaster. After spending 46 minutes on the phone with Applecare, I got disconnected without talking to anyone who could help me.

I am a pro photographer and this is a major disaster!

Apr 11, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Edstar72

Edstar... One option might be to copy your Aperture library to an external hard drive, then use a friend's system running Aperture 3.6 to convert the old Aperture Library to the Aperture 3.6 format. Photos can then migrate the Aperture 3.6 library to a Photos Library on your system. If you can get a licensed copy of Aperture 3.6, it is possible to run both Photos and Aperture 3.6 on OS X 10.10.3 with "separate, yet shared" libraries. Currently I am using Photos for Shared albums and Aperture 3.6 for my local albums.

Hope that helps,

JAL Computing

Apr 12, 2015 1:35 AM in response to Edstar72

The version of Aperture installed on Mac needs upgrading as not compatible with Yosemite, however search app store and says not available in UK. Spoke to Apple Store and was advised to download Aperture dmg file, but I cannot find a link that works. Worried that I have lost all my edited pics ;-/

Aperture is no longer sold at the App Store since the release of Photos , so you will not find it, when you search the main page.

But you should be seeing Aperture on the Purchased tab of the App Store, if you bought Aperture from the App Store or on the Updates page.

If you do not see Aperture, even if you bought it from the AppStore, unhide your Purchases.

Go to Store > View My Account, and go to Manage Hidden Purchases.

If you have the boxed retail version and did not buy from the App Store, your Aperture version is not associated with your AppleID and will not show on the updates page. It should show however on the Purchases tab with an "Accept" button. In some cases it was necessary to switch the Language&Region settings to English U.S. for the "Accept" to show.

But we cannot really be sure, what still will work, after Apple removed Aperture from the AppStore.

If all fails, contact Apple Support again and ask for a redeem code and download link, so you can download Aperture 3.6 for free:

You will need to provide a proof op purchase of Aperture and insist to talk to the manager.

Use this link: http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/

Apple sent redeem codes for Aperture 3.6 to several users who had bought the version on disks, if they could provide a serial number, so they could download the update for free. See for example this discussion: (The post marked as the solution)

Re: Aperture update not possible after update to Yosemite

If all fails, reinstall the system that worked with Aperture and restore from your Time Machine backup, until The AppStore is showing the update again. See: OS X Mavericks: Revert to a previous OS X version

Apr 12, 2015 5:23 AM in response to léonie

I spent more than an hour on the phone with AppleCare and worked out this procedure which fixed my problem.

1) go to apple menu.

2) select app store

3) click on purchases

4) if you see aperture in list with word installed next to it, close out of app store

5) go to application folder

6) drag old aperture app to trash

7) empty trash

8) go back to apple menu

9) select App Store again

10) click on purchases again

11) you should now see an install option next to aperture

12) click install and re-download a clean copy of aperture

13) open aperture

14) it should automatically link to your aperture library.

15) check to make sure everything is working properly

this procedure worked for me. It saved 400,000 photos taken over the last 15 years!

WHew!

Apr 12, 2015 5:44 AM in response to bobrehak

OMG---- Bobrehak, you ARE an angel!

Thank you sooo much.

I panicked this morning when I could not open my Aperture.... (professional artist and photographer) with over 45000 photos and lots of digital art... I followed your steps as outlined , did a clean reinstall from the purchase record of the App store , and after a little wait everything worked like butter....Thank you, THANK YOU.

One question: in subsequent automatic upgrades of Yosemite, will this again nix the aperture app? should i not update with Yosemite upgrades?

I have known that Aperture is no longer supported, but like you I had been assured by all the experts in the field that there would be no problem continuing to use it... I did buy Lightroom....but have not yet had the time and patience to install it and move over my libraries....

Thank you again, thjs really worked!

Aug 4, 2015 7:08 AM in response to bobrehak

thanks so much for posting this solution .... I was in a nightmare till I read the answer .... why no mention from Apple when I was upgrading I don't know .... they even wrote to us earlier in May to say Aperture wouldn't be supported, but they said it would still work, hence this was a tad frightening!

Aperture needs upgrading to work on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.