Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing LIVE: backing tracks, video projections, and hardware synth sequences in Logic X and/or Mainstage 3

I just upgraded to a new Macbook Pro from my old '09 Macbook, which means I'm now working with Logic X instead of Logic Pro and I've got Mainstage 3. I have five goals for live performance, and I'm wondering if they can be accomplished simultaneously using Logic X and Mainstage 3 (and if they can't, what additional software or hardware do I need to accomplish them?)

I want to run:

1.) A backing track. not several--I don't need to isolate drums, etc.--everything can be on one track

2.) A click track for live drummer (a live drummer will be playing along with pre-recorded drums)

3.) MIDI sequence going to hardware synth (like a Moog Slim Phatty)--I want things like fast sequenced arpeggios and bass lines played from an actual hardware synth in sync with the backing tracks so I can manipulate knobs in realtime, have actual analog punch, and just generally give certain synth sounds more human touch live than a simple pre-recorded track

4.) Video projection running in sync with the song(s)

5.) Play synth sounds from the Arturia V Collection live alongside the sequenced analog synth and the backing track playback

I'm not adverse to adding a hardware sequencer to this setup, I just want to see if the computer can do it on its own first. It's a brand new machine 8G RAM, solid state hard drive that's currently empty, etc.

Logic Pro X, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:06 PM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2015 7:55 AM in response to obliqcinema

Hi there obliqcinema,

That´s all possible with Logic and MS. The Logic handles all the sequencer parts / Backing tracks / video, and MS the arturia (but the Logic can do it).

I use a similar setup but send midi out of DAW to another MAC/PC to trigger video on a VJ Software (just to separate machines) but can be done with Logic and MS.

My only concern with this is how powerfull is you machine to all that and the demand of arturia on CPU and RAM.

hope this helps you.

Syncing LIVE: backing tracks, video projections, and hardware synth sequences in Logic X and/or Mainstage 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.