Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet 1 stopped working, but Ethernet 2 works

Hi, My Ethernet 1 port suddenly stopped working, and defaulted to a self-assigned IP address. After rebooting the router and cable modem, to no avail, I plugged the ethernet cable into the second ethernet port and it works fine. I tried deleting the Network preferences file, and reseting the PRAM, but the 1st port still goes self-assigned, and the 2nd port still works. A system report suggests that the Ethernet 1 Card does recognize my LAN, because even with the self-assigned IP, it registers another computer and 2 wireless bases that are on the local network.

Does this sound like a bad ethernet card, and a trip to Apple, or does anybody have an idea of how I might fix the first port? Many thanks for any help or ideas anyone can provide!

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 4:23 PM

If you can see another device on the Network, that is more likely to be a mis-configuartiion than anything else.

Use System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > ( Assist Me ) > ( Assistant )...

... to set it up again from scratch, deliberately specifying a new "Location". A Location in this context is a collection of settings that can be applied or re-applied "all-at-once", and was invented to facilitate move to Home, to Office, to Starbux, etc and just specifying a new "Location" and all your settings pop into place and are instantly in force.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Jay

If you can see another device on the Network, that is more likely to be a mis-configuartiion than anything else.

Use System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > ( Assist Me ) > ( Assistant )...

... to set it up again from scratch, deliberately specifying a new "Location". A Location in this context is a collection of settings that can be applied or re-applied "all-at-once", and was invented to facilitate move to Home, to Office, to Starbux, etc and just specifying a new "Location" and all your settings pop into place and are instantly in force.

Apr 11, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Jay

Hi Grant, thank you for the tip. I tried plugging Ethernet 1 directly into the cable modem, and it worked fine. So I rebooted the router and modem again, and it worked this time. Last time it was hanging up on 192.168.1.111, now it has changed to .101, and seems to work.

Thanks!

Ethernet 1 stopped working, but Ethernet 2 works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.