Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iPhoto Photos showing in the new Photos app

I didn't see a new spot to ask this so I figured I would post it in the iPhoto section. When my wife and I import to iPhoto we usually delete a bunch of random screenshots,etc. iPhoto doesn't have them but looking back for some reason the new photos app is showing more photos then iPhoto has. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:59 PM

I was really annoyed when Photos was brought into my iMac without a clear warning what would happen. My iPhotos 16,000 images were copied to Photos at some 85Gb of memory usage. I had a look at Photos and then deleted the Photos library and set iPhoto as the default software for importing again WooHoo!. If Photos gets better than iPhoto in the future I might change over then but am not holding my breath! This happened on my iPad months ago, except then you had lost iPhoto (that you had to buy!) permanently with no option to revert back. Photos on iPad is still inferior as you can't create Apple books the same way and the albums are not in date order. Really arrogant of Apple yet again.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 2:59 PM in response to William Ziobro

I was really annoyed when Photos was brought into my iMac without a clear warning what would happen. My iPhotos 16,000 images were copied to Photos at some 85Gb of memory usage. I had a look at Photos and then deleted the Photos library and set iPhoto as the default software for importing again WooHoo!. If Photos gets better than iPhoto in the future I might change over then but am not holding my breath! This happened on my iPad months ago, except then you had lost iPhoto (that you had to buy!) permanently with no option to revert back. Photos on iPad is still inferior as you can't create Apple books the same way and the albums are not in date order. Really arrogant of Apple yet again.

Apr 12, 2015 6:35 AM in response to William Ziobro

I can't figure out why the new photos app is showing more photos then my iPhoto had. It seems to be showing a large chunk of things I previously deleted in iphoto but nothing was in the trash. They weren't hidden either. I don't feel like going through 170GB of photos deleting things I previously had deleted.

I am not against the new photos app. I want to use it so I hope the Apple Fans don't jump down my throat. I just want to make sure it created a clean version of the new photos app. The fact that I am seeing anomalies makes me unsure it did. I do not want to find out in 12 months that some group of photos from 2009 are corrupt. I am going to make a permanent backup of the iPhoto DB for sure.

Apr 12, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have to disagree Terence. It creates a complete copy of the iPhoto database. I verified this by deleting the iPhotos database and photos worked fine. It also added 188GB to my crash plan backup and time capsule backup. I have seen other beta testers say it doesn't but it does in my case. It also did this with no interaction on my part. When my computer restarted after the 10.10.3 update it went ahead and created a new 188GB photos DB. When I tried to open iPhoto it prompted and said that iPhoto is now out of date, etc. Seems they changed it from what beta testers were experiencing or it does what it wants depending on how much space you have. I would have been mad if this created some type of bandwidth issue if I was metered because it caused my crash plan to push up another 188GB.

Apr 12, 2015 7:02 AM in response to William Ziobro

I have to disagree Terence. It creates a complete copy of the iPhoto database. I verified this by deleting the iPhotos database and photos worked fine. It also added 188GB to my crash plan backup and time capsule backup. I have seen other beta testers say it doesn't but it does in my case. It also did this with no interaction on my part.

It doesn't. It uses Unix Hard Links the actual photos, so while both Libraries report 188 gigs or whatever, they are reporting the same 188 gigs. Or put another way, when you deleted the iPhoto Library, did your disk space go up by 188 gigs? Time Machine and CrashPlan don't deal with these links - BTW, an online service like Crashplan for an iPhoto/Aperture/Photos library has a high risk of data corruption.

I can't figure out why the new photos app is showing more photos then my iPhoto had. It seems to be showing a large chunk of things I previously deleted in iphoto but nothing was in the trash

Your iPhoto Library was corrupted and wasn't cleaning up after deletions properly.

I am not against the new photos app. I want to use it so I hope the Apple Fans don't jump down my throat.

The app either does what you want or doesn't. If it doesn't use another one. For me, it's nowhere near my needs and I have no problem making that decision.

Apr 12, 2015 7:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for taking the time to explain. That is interesting behavior and I am glad you took the time to explain. now it makes sense. As for crashplan, it is my second line of backup just in case. I rely on my time machine on my time capsule for my primary backup. I just like to have 2 forms of backup, one offsite. I bet crashplan sensed a change throughout the entire iPhoto DB and decided to back it all up again now that you explained it that way.

Do you know of a way I can have the iPhoto Library repaired? My thinking is I can delete the Photos Library, fix the iPhoto Library corruption and then have Photos set back up. Think that is a possibility? I know having photos set back up is possible as I have tried twice already to fix this issue. I just need to repair the iPhoto Library. Hopefully you have an idea for me. thank you!

No problem with the photos app. I was just used to iPhoto but I will get used to Photos. I just like to have a place to keep all my photos. I do not organize all that much.

Apr 13, 2015 6:24 AM in response to William Ziobro

To repair the iPhoto Library:

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Apr 20, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, I was hoping you might be able to help me one more time. I was able to repair my iPhoto and then open the new photos app. It fixed the issue with some previously deleted photos coming over. thank you. Now, my new photos app seems to not be displaying all the thumbnails. If I open them, they then show but there are probably a few thousand missing.

I tried doing the repair by opening it while holding down command+option on the photos app and that didn't work.

Do you you have any other ideas? thank you in advance for your time and help.

Deleted iPhoto Photos showing in the new Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.