Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I print a list albums sorted by artist

iTunes 12.1.2.27 Windows 7 SP 1 (64 bit)

I would like to generate a list of albums in my library sorted by artist. This used to work fine before I upgraded to iTunes 12 last fall by using File > Print > Album listing / Theme: List of albums.

Since the iTunes 12 upgrade the list is generated sorted by album title and not by artist. I have my View options set to Albums - Sort by Artist them by Title.

User uploaded file

Even though the theme clearly states sorted by artist, it generated a list sorted by album title. How do I fix this so that it generates what the theme description states?

Thanks for your help and insight in restoring the old print behavior.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 4:45 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2015 6:54 PM in response to yyygac2

Hi yygac,

I just tried it in iTunes 12.0. The print dialog looks just like yours, indicating that the list will be "sorted by artist." And it really did come out sorted by Artist, both in the preview and in the printed output.

There are certainly no options that would control this, so you may be seeing a bug. Are you seeing the same behavior consistently? Are you on 12.0 or 12.1?

Apr 12, 2015 9:44 PM in response to ed2345

Hi ed,

I am on iTunes 12.1.2.27 ... but what I get is albums sorted by title in both the preview and the output file. This behavior has been consistent since I upgraded to iTunes 12 ... with iTunes 11 it did work like what you are seeing. I do think it is some sort of bug ... iTunes 12 was not the smoothest software upgrade I have see. I did run into a lot of lock-ups and trashing of album art in the 12,0 releases but this latest release (12.1.2.27) seems to be have taken care of most of those issues.

I might look into doing a complete removal of iTunes and then try a new clean reinstall but I was hoping that maybe there was some setting, or config file parameter, that might fix this..

Thanks for your response.

Apr 14, 2015 3:19 AM in response to yyygac2

It seems to be behaving properly for me using iTunes 12.1.2.27 in both Mac & Windows.

It could be worth deleting the PrintingTemplates folder from within whichever set of language resource folders you have selected, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel to replace them. For US English this would be:

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\en.lproj\PrintingTemplates or

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\en.lproj\PrintingTemplates

tt2

how do I print a list albums sorted by artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.