Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hidden Photo Album

I did the most recent OS upgrade and part of that is a new version of iPhoto, now Photos... My first impression is rather negative, but the problem I'm having now is that the "Hidden Photos" option is no longer present in the "View" menu. I have hundreds of hidden photos. If I click on "Photos" the hidden photos do not appear, however if I click on "Albums," there they all are. There is an "Show Hidden Photo Album" option but I've so far been unable to figure out how to create one of these "hidden photo albums." Next thing you know my nephews'll be seein' Abiela's ***...

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 10:36 PM

The "Hiding" is different in Photos from iPhoto.

If you hide a photo, it will be invisible in the Photos view - in Moments, Years, Collections, but it will be visible in any album. So there is no need for a View option "Show Hidden Photos". All hidden photos are shown together in the Hidden Photos album, that you can add to the sidebar.

There is an "Show Hidden Photo Album" option but I've so far been unable to figure out how to create one of these "hidden photo albums."

You cannot create albums based on "hidden". There is only the one smart album, that will show all hidden photos.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 10:36 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

The "Hiding" is different in Photos from iPhoto.

If you hide a photo, it will be invisible in the Photos view - in Moments, Years, Collections, but it will be visible in any album. So there is no need for a View option "Show Hidden Photos". All hidden photos are shown together in the Hidden Photos album, that you can add to the sidebar.

There is an "Show Hidden Photo Album" option but I've so far been unable to figure out how to create one of these "hidden photo albums."

You cannot create albums based on "hidden". There is only the one smart album, that will show all hidden photos.

Apr 11, 2015 10:58 PM in response to léonie

I have figured out the Hidden Photo Album and it now contains all my supposedly hidden photos. While the hidden photos are not visible in the "Photos," they are clearly visible in the "All Photos" album, the "faces" album (although one can't open the hidden image, only the face), and the "Last Import." Thus they are anything but hidden. However any search for an image that is hidden turns up nothing.... Very disappointing!

Apr 17, 2015 9:48 AM in response to léonie

Léonie et al,

Thanks for confirming this behavior -- though I find it very odd indeed. Why would the only place hidden photos are truly hidden be in "moments" view? Is there any way at all to get previously hidden photos to vanish from individual albums, the way they did in iPhoto? Frankly, I find this new paradigm useless. I'm a perfectionist, so I take far more photos than I want to show. The hidden photos are good, just not good enough, so deleting them isn't an option.

iPhoto's hiding model was perfect, and I'm baffled that they removed this functionality from Albums in Photos.

Apr 17, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

Yes, disappointing indeed. I've been an exclusively Mac User for well over two decades, and proud of the superior perfomance of my Macs. However in recent years I've been watching various programs loose functionality. All of the iWork programs have gone backwards to the point that I've had to change to Office (which I hate) to accomplish things which were beautifully done in older iWork programs. I suppose I could go back to the older versions, but it's the principle of the thing. It saddens me greatly to see iPhoto slipping as well. In this case I'm afraid I'll have to revert to iPhotos because this non-hidden aspect of the hidden photos is absurd.

Apr 17, 2015 9:28 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

Thank you for bringing this up and I hope the developers at Apple see this and do something about it. There was nothing wrong with the previous version, an upgrade should at least be exactly that....an upgrade, in my opinion they have made it worse.

I have also noticed that the events folder no longer updates as it used to, previously all your new photos would be added to a new event folder for that month and then you could choose which album you wanted to move it to, this no longer happens.

I am really so dissappointed with this now that i am transferring all my photos back to my Windows PC. I have not noticed any photo's missing yet but I have a suspicion now that this is a very real possibility. Still checking.......

Oct 21, 2015 7:49 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

I initially reverted back to using iPhoto, but I've figured out an alternative, which should've been obvious right from the beginning. Photos allows for the use of multiple Photo libraries. There are various programs which allow one to make file collections private. Thus one can Privatize a particular library. It's a little bit of a pain because one must close Photos, and then reopen, holding the option key, to select which library to open. Then at the end of a session one must again close Photos and reopen to whatever library one wishes to be accessible.

<Edited by Host>

Oct 11, 2015 12:26 AM in response to léonie

The "hidden" album doesn't show but the images it contains can be found elsewhere and located in searches as well... It's not all that big a deal unless you don't want your kids to see those pictures of your wife in her sexy underwear, or those comical pictures of daddy in a G-string they took last St. Patrick's Day... They'll be in the hidden album, but they'll also be in the Photos and available to anyone who takes the time to look. The only way out is to keep your private images in am encrypted Photo library. Turns out not to be that big a pain in the butt after all...

Hidden Photo Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.