Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Mini coming-questions about cables

Well, I just purchased a Mac mini through the online Apple Store. It is 3.0GHZ Dual Core i7-16GB with 2 TB Fusion Drive.

I read that you need CAT6 Ethernet Cable to transfer the files, etc through Migration from the old PC to the new. So, I will have to get one.

Here is my set up-I have Time Warner Cable and so I have the Cble Modem first and then next on the line is my Netgear router-N150 WNR1000 and then it is the computer.

Looks like I will need to change my ethernet cables- from the Netgear to the computer especially with the mac mini coming. I have had that cable quite a few years and it looks like it needs replacing. So, would I replace it with a CAT6? What about from the Cable Modem to the Netgear-would I go ahead and replace that one as well? So, it would be all consistant.

I also notice on the board here that alot of people are having the problem with not being able to wake up the display, etc with the mac mini. It seems to be all of the machines? What would be the best hook up with the display?

I have a new Asus LCD Monitor-the hook ups on back are: HDMI DVI, and VGA. What would be the best?

I have my own CD/DVD player-Samsung so I will use that as well.

I would appreciate any advice on the hook ups and cables.

Thank you.

Mac mini

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 4:01 PM

8 replies

Apr 11, 2015 4:12 PM in response to CarolF5

CAT6 cable is only required to support the GHz Ethernet speed.

You internet connection is fine on CAT 5 cable.

Unless you router supports GHZ network speed and your using CAT 5 through the router will not really help. If your old computer does not support GHz network then even a direct ethernet CAT6 cable between the two computers will not realy help.

If you need to get new cable then get CAT6

DVI connection would be the best

Mac mini 2014 won't wake monitor via HDMI

Apr 11, 2015 6:12 PM in response to lllaass

I saw on the Migration instructions when I looked it up on Apple-that you use a CAT6 for the Migration of the files, etc from one computer to another. I do not know what classification that I have for the current ethernet cables from my current computer to the router and the the one from the router to Time Warner's Cable modem. I do know that they are the older models as they have been in place over 7 years and are looking worn out. Need to replace-but do not know which to use since will be running the high speed mini mac.

My current computer is an i3 HP Omni All in one which has been there for quite a while-with Windows 7. Am updating to the Mac Mini.

I am not a tech geek and so not up on the different cables and connectors. Will try the DVI to Hdmi connector for hooking up to the LCD monitor.

Apr 11, 2015 9:29 PM in response to CarolF5

Will try the DVI to Hdmi connector for hooking up to the LCD monitor.

No, that's not what she suggested. Use a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort to DVI connector. You want to use the DVI connection on your monitor, not the HDMI connector.

And, as previously stated, if your old computer doesn't have a GigaEthernet capability, then you don't need to buy a CAT 6 cable for migration purposes.

Apr 12, 2015 7:06 PM in response to Lanny

My older PC has Giga Ethernet. It is actually attached to the router via an ethernet.

It is an all in one computer.

My new LCD Monitor has hook ups for DVI, HDMI and VGA.

My husband found a cable hook up that will work-DVI on the monitor to the HDMi on the 2014 mac Mini.

I think we have a Belkin Data Transfer Cable-will that work for the Migration? I just ordered some CAT6 cables just in case-they were in expensive and could always use them at some point.

I need to update the ethernet cables hooked to my Modem and one to the router-they are looking sad. What type? I do not know what type they are. And being that the mac mini I had made is a little powerhouse I need to make sure all the wires can withstand it.

What is your advice on them? I do not know anything on Cables, etc...

Carol

Apr 12, 2015 7:20 PM in response to CarolF5

I also have another question to add that I just thought of.

Do I leave the old PC hooked up to the router via ethernet or do I uplug it from there before I start the migration.

Would I be plugging in the Mac mini to the router?

Currently I have the old PC hooked to the router via ethernet cable. What I want to know is how I am going to do this as it is not mentioned in apple's help area.

Than you.

Carol

Apr 12, 2015 7:42 PM in response to Lanny

Apple themselves just told me to use the CAT6 cables for the network area-modem to router and then router to computer.

We will be using the DVI (on Monitor) to HDMI adaptor cable that we have to hook up the monitor to the Mac Mini.

But, I still do not see if to keep the old PC hooked up to the router or unplug it for the migration.

It is my home network set up-while the PC does have wireless capabilities I had it hooked up to the router via ethernet as it is the main computer on the network.

I know that the Mac Mini is wireless, etc and can detect networks when the time comes. It is still unclear to me if I would unplug the old PC before the migration and keep it unplugged for the changeover.

At some point I would be plugging in the mac mini to the router-whenever that time is.

It is a little confusing to me at this point.

Carol

Apr 12, 2015 7:46 PM in response to CarolF5

I also have another question to add that I just thought of.

Do I leave the old PC hooked up to the router via ethernet or do I uplug it from there before I start the migration.

Would I be plugging in the Mac mini to the router?

Currently I have the old PC hooked to the router via ethernet cable. What I want to know is how I am going to do this as it is not mentioned in apple's help area.

From Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4796

New Mac Mini coming-questions about cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.