Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to iTunes on my Mac?

iTunes doesn't launch anymore.

iTunes does not even bounce on the dock. Obviously, it does not open even by clicking on it on the Application folder.

Even after restarting the mac, repairing permissions, disk or whatever via Disk Utility and via Command-R.

What shall I do?

MacBook Pro Retina i7 | 2,8 GHz | 16GB | OS 10.10.3

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 7:58 PM

17 replies

Apr 12, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Limnos

I did it, obviously, several times: also via command-R, for repairing disk and permissions through Disk Utility.

And yes, clicking the terminal file called "iTunes" in the package content seems to be the only way to listen to my music.

But I really do not think it should be considered the solution: normally, we should open an app by clicking on it. But I could be wrong...

Apr 12, 2015 10:04 AM in response to yanez1971

Back up all data.

Select the iTunes icon in the Applications folder and open the Info window. Click the lock icon and unlock the settings. Change the owner to yourself. From the action menu with the gear icon, select Apply to enclosed items.

You should now be able to drag the app to the Trash and empty.

Click the iTunes link at the top of this page and download the installer. Run it and test.

Apr 16, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Mapc46

Mapc46 wrote:

When is Apple coming with a solution to open iTunes 12.1.12!!!

... Is this recognised as an issue with Apple?

We have no idea what Apple does behind the scenes. We are simply other users like you. My guess is while yes, a few dozen people you read on this forum have had issues, there's probably (tens of?) millions other Apple computer users who have not. Since from what you say none of the methods work for you (it would be good to outline which ones you have tried), you are the only one I have seen so far who didn't get something to work out in the end. Realize by the time software is installed and a machine has been in use for a while every computer is unique so there probably isn't a single "fix" Apple could do even if they tried.

Apr 16, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you, Limnos. In fact, I finally decided to fix by myself the issue by following the Terminal instructions posted by nalarewop here.

So, I have been forced to delete a native app as iTunes and re-install it, in order to let it work normally.

As long as my MacBook Pro [i7 15" Retina display 16 GB OS X 10.3.3] doesn't present any problem, neither hardware nor software, I consider this issue not a fault of mine. Even if we were only a few, among mac-users, I still believe that Apple is supposed to fix the problem.

And, obviously, I do confirm: I have restarted the mac several times, repaired permissions and - also - verified/repaired the disc itself by restarting the mac via Command-R -> Disk Utility.

What happened to iTunes on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.