Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where can i get iPhoto 9.6.1 outside app store

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can either get a file to update my iPhoto to 9.6.1, or where I can just download 9.6.1 directly?

I have updated to 10.10.3, and I didn't know you have to upgrade to iPhoto 9.6.1 in order to run in 10.10.3.

I am very very unhappy about Photos (good thing I made a backup to the library first), and when I try to run iPhoto it's telling me that I cannot run it unless I upgrade (to 9.6.1) but iPhoto is currently unavailable in the app store.

thanks a bunch!

P.S. if you haven't upgrade to 10.10.3 and used Photos, my personal recommendation is... DON'T!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:49 PM

You can't get 9.6.1 outside the app store, but you can probably get it in there:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 5:49 PM in response to willyu

You can't get 9.6.1 outside the app store, but you can probably get it in there:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 16, 2015 9:20 PM in response to willyu

Cannot locate iPhoto on the Canadian website for APP Store

My problem is that I have Time Capsule using Time Machine. I had to reformat my hard drive and try to recover everything off the Time Capsule. Well the Recover on Time Machine was not recognizing my hard drive on my iMAC because Time Machine was treating it as a new computer hard drive so it would not let me restore from the Time Capsule. So with help of a willing neighbour we were able to copy one of the backups from Time Capsule to my desktop and have been moving everything into the appropriate file folders on the iMAC HD - so ultimately doing a manual restore. BUT my problem now is I don't know where my pictures are & I need iPhoto to retrieve those pictures. So I am not sure how I will get my pictures out of the iPhoto Library. If iPhoto is not available then do I have to upgrade to Yosemite & Photo? Is there a better photo managing APP?

Apr 16, 2015 9:34 PM in response to JuJuDidIt

Okay, what you have are really a few different problems, and I think it would be the best if you are able to get the guys at the genius bar to help you. Or I would suggest you check with the people in the time machine forum because it doesn't sound right about your time machine restore process.

1. App stores are regional and it is set to whatever your country is with additional lock on your credit card's country. You will not be able to go to a different country's app store, ie. if you used a U.S. credit card, you will have created a U.S. account, with all your app purchases in U.S. App Store. Knowing how to go to a different store will not help you since as soon as you log in, it will kick you back to your account's country.

2. If you have formatted your hard drive, it is correct that time machine will treat it as a new computer. No matter you re-install OS X or boot into the recovery mode, you have to select something that sound like "restore OS X from a time machine backup" during the set up/reinstall process. My guess is that you have simply reinstalled OS X and hook up your time capsule. You MUST boot into recover to do the full system recover. Try follow the instruction here, OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system. You may not be using yosemite, or maybe a earlier OS X but the process is the same. The only problem I can see is that your time machine must be intact, i.e., you haven't start using it again after your formatting.

Your 3rd (4th?) question I am not too sure...

3. If you want to continue your current process of trying to locate your iPhoto library in the backup you somehow got into a hard drive and you are looking for you iPhoto library. Plug in your external hard drive, go to finder, and simply search "photolibrary" or "photo library" and it should show up under "This Mac" or "(external hard drive name)

4. if you already know where your iPhoto library is, but could not download iPhoto to open it, then unfortunately your only choice would be to upgrade to yosemite and photos. When you first open your photo library with Photos, it will convert your library. Although there are reports of people losing photo in the conversion...

Anyways, my recommendation to you is that if your time capsule is intact, you should try do the full system restore from time machine. If you are too far into your "manual" process, then you might have to try to get Photos if you can't get iPhoto.

Again, if you can talk to the people are genius bar, you should.

good luck.

Apr 16, 2015 10:00 PM in response to willyu

Yes I will get onto Time Capsule/Machine forum.

Thanks - I could not restore from my Time Capsule using the restore on Time Machine because my system locked up so badly half way into Parallels that I could not do anything - could not enter Safe Boot, Restore with Time Machine, or ?? one other option that appeared on the screen - can't remember what it was. I could do nothing. I had decided to get rid of Parallels because it was painfully slow, and go to Boot Camp anyway. So I did not want to restore the entire Time Capsule anyway. Apple recommended that I reinstall the OS - which I had to do from my Snow Leopard discs that were included when I purchased the iMAC, then upgrade to Mavericks. I did all this then tried to install iPhoto from my iLife disk and it would not let me do so. Hence my dilemma with iPhoto. I have been able to move all my documents, address book, desktop off the backup I copied from Time Capsule to a folder on my desktop. I know this is not the normal procedure to restore, but I needed to get rid of the partition that Parallels was on.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I do hope I can get my 25,000 pictures back. I would sure like to have them just in a file folder like on a PC rather than hidden in an app like iPhoto.

Apr 16, 2015 10:00 PM in response to willyu

Time Machine is intact. I have not yet done another system backup. The time machine shows only about 79GB remaining on the 1TB drive, so it appears that my original backups are on the Time Capsule, but hidden. Like I said with the help of a neighbour we were able to copy one of the backups to a file folder on my desktop and the files all appear to be there, but not sure where the iPhoto Library is - I am still working on that !

Apr 16, 2015 10:04 PM in response to willyu

OK so looks like I should upgrade to Yosemite and Photos and get all my photos into Photos (hopefully all of them).

Then do you have a suggestion for a good photo APP that just references a file folder containing all my photos. I don't like them hidden within iPhoto/Photo. I guess being an old PC user, I just don't like the way Apple hides stuff from the user.

Apr 17, 2015 8:19 AM in response to JuJuDidIt

"Then do you have a suggestion for a good photo APP that just references a file folder containing all my photos."

Adobe Photoshop Elements on the Mac organizes photo's in folders (without being in a "package") and has a very nice set of editing tools, I used it previously and it was very capable.

Just for reference, your photo's in the iPhoto/Aperture can be accessed, in Finder if you right click on the photo package and choose show contents, you can see and access your photos directly.

Apr 17, 2015 8:23 AM in response to Sasparilla256

Just for reference, your photo's in the iPhoto/Aperture can be accessed, in Finder if you right click on the photo package and choose show contents, you can see and access your photos directly.

You need to point out that this access is not supported, and if you want to store files in folders then simply use a Referenced Library:

For more on iPhoto and file management see this User Tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6361

Otherwise:

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

where can i get iPhoto 9.6.1 outside app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.