Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone's Touch ID not working when plugged in charging

TTouch ID doesn't work when charging but my sons iPhone 6 does

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Touch id

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 11:18 AM

Yep, same problem for me. (this is a new iPhone out of the box yesterday). Im plugged in to a standard lightning cable and into USB on my Mac.

>>>>> [Try removing the case from the phone, and hold the iPhone in your hand, and make sure you are using a new USB lightning cable plugged in to an apple device or the original apple converter (square block plug)]

For me, unplugged: touch ID works every time; plugging it in, touch ID works intermittently maybe 1 of 20 trys. Its like it doesn't see the presence of a finger / poor sensitivity.

I reset all my finger prints -no improvement.

I called Apple care. During my call with Apple-care, one of the first 5 questions they asked me was "does this problem occur when plugged-in or not" --(obviously they know of some issue). ...... they made me hard-reset and also Erase all data and reload. After reload of my data, still have the problem... in fact it could not perform the Touch ID Setup activity while plugged in.

I tried multiple lightning cables. Reset again as a "new phone"... the touch ID was still intermittently not working during the Touch ID Setup.

I finally removed my case (Apple silicone case) ... It turns out that possibly there is an electrical grounding problem with iPhone 6 affecting Touch ID. When my hand is touching the back metal case of the phone, the Touch ID works even when plugged in. If I am not touching the metal case on the back, Touch ID has problems when plugged in.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Brianb59

Yep, same problem for me. (this is a new iPhone out of the box yesterday). Im plugged in to a standard lightning cable and into USB on my Mac.

>>>>> [Try removing the case from the phone, and hold the iPhone in your hand, and make sure you are using a new USB lightning cable plugged in to an apple device or the original apple converter (square block plug)]

For me, unplugged: touch ID works every time; plugging it in, touch ID works intermittently maybe 1 of 20 trys. Its like it doesn't see the presence of a finger / poor sensitivity.

I reset all my finger prints -no improvement.

I called Apple care. During my call with Apple-care, one of the first 5 questions they asked me was "does this problem occur when plugged-in or not" --(obviously they know of some issue). ...... they made me hard-reset and also Erase all data and reload. After reload of my data, still have the problem... in fact it could not perform the Touch ID Setup activity while plugged in.

I tried multiple lightning cables. Reset again as a "new phone"... the touch ID was still intermittently not working during the Touch ID Setup.

I finally removed my case (Apple silicone case) ... It turns out that possibly there is an electrical grounding problem with iPhone 6 affecting Touch ID. When my hand is touching the back metal case of the phone, the Touch ID works even when plugged in. If I am not touching the metal case on the back, Touch ID has problems when plugged in.

Is anyone's Touch ID not working when plugged in charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.