Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am absolutely FLABBERGASTED!!

I had iPhoto 9.6 on my computer. I wish to CONTINUE to use it. An Apple update just installed their new Photos and installed a "no-go" sign on my previously perfectly working iPhoto 9.6 and all previous versions.

WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WARNING.

I am NOT interested in having ONLY Photos - I don't mind it being there to try it out, but to UNILATERALLY REMOVE iPhoto is UNACCEPTABLE.

Apple please re-instate it forthwith.

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:01 AM

Oh get over yourself and use the search function.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 4:01 AM in response to Nickiwi

Oh get over yourself and use the search function.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 12, 2015 4:11 AM in response to Nickiwi

I don't use iPhoto, I think it's THE WORST Apple app, stupid in all components, starting in crazy idea of having all photos in one hugy and bulky file named iPhoto Library. I can tell you a lot about how stupid this app is, but Photos appear to be even worse. They say that new app will be the substitution for both iPhoto and Aperture. It means that Photos must be good for pros ans amateurs. As pro I can tell you that even Aperture is far behind modern apps for photographers, Photos is a big step backward. It does not have enough instruments to develop pictures, it does not have normal instruments to work with big picture libraries, to select, compare., compose pictures etc.

Shame on Apple!

Apr 12, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

First announcement of upcoming Photos:

"Apple is ceasing development of its Aperture and iPhoto apps and will replace them both with the previously-announced Photos for OS X app when it ships next year, the company announced Friday."

http://www.macworld.com/article/2375212/apple-retires-aperture-and-iphoto-to-be- replaced-with-photos-for-os-x.html

Apr 12, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Mike@Petersburg

But not familiar enough to know about Referenced Libraries in iPhoto and so on.

Perhaps you should re-read that article. The bit you quote is not from Apple, but the journalist and the actual quote from Apple says something quite different:

With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X,

All it says is that you can migrate Aperture Libraries and Aperture development has ceased. Nothing about it as an intended replacement.

Apr 12, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Yer_Man

"Reference Library"? Apple forgot it's own princple "Keep it simple"
I tried to keep my photos outside iPhoto Library, but even without them Library was HUGE. There was thousands of thumbnails, versions etc.

Crap!

It seems to me, that people in Apple didn't have a single chance (or simply didn't want) to ask real photographers what they need or what they want.

Apr 12, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for responding, but your recipe doesn't work. I find iPhoto in the "Purchases" on the App Store with a grey "Update" next to it. If I click on that it just turns a fader shade of grey and nothing else happens.

It's just as if this version of Yosemite refuses to have anything to do with it.

I have tried this both before and after dragging iPhoto from my Applications folder to the trash and re-starting, to no avail.

Apr 12, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Nickiwi

There's a workaround to get iPhoto 9.6 to work. See this post by Todd Dixon:

Todd Dixon including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 10, 2015 4:58 PM

Re: Is iPhoto deleted by the 10.10.3 update ?

in response to Philippe Barthelemy

[DocumentBodyStart:0d18bf30-70ea-4c9b-b631-83e91511f82d]

Everyone... if moving your iPhoto to the trash (don't empty trash) and redownloading from your purchases or hidden purchases does not work then, as per my earlier post, simply remove it from the trash and right-click on iPhoto and click Show package contents, then go in to Contents, and in to the MacOS folder and double click the iPhoto app from there... it launches just fine! So make an alias for it or drag it in to your dock. A non-pretty but functional workaround.

I've tested it and it works with iPhoto 9.5.1 and 9.6 but not with earlier versions.

Also, when iPhoto is launched so is the Terminal and it must remain open while iPhoto is being used. Closing the Terminal application will close iPhoto. Terminal can be hidden to keep it out of the way.

User uploaded file

Apr 12, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you very much Old Toad and Todd Dixon - it worked. And I am extremely grateful to you both.

Dragging the "iPhoto" in the package to the "user" part of the dock also works like a charm. But I earnestly hope Apple will reinstate a straight-forwardly functional iPhoto without the need for work-arounds.

And it is about time that Apple realised that taking away things that work and that have had a LOT of time invested in them by their users is not acceptable behaviour; we've seen it with the iWork apps as well, and once upon a time LogicPro. Also they should realise that many households have a multiplicity of equipment at varying levels of up-to-dateness - in our case, on top of this MBP Retina with Yosemite, we still have a Snow-Leopard machine (White MacBook, Core duo) and a Mountain Lion machine on which it would be folly to install Yosemite. And all photos on external discs, with a different level and version of iPhoto on each computer used to access the same basic collection of photos.

Also, with nearly 50 GB of iPhoto library and over 200 GB of photos, an iCloud solution would be expensive and slow, even with a high-speed fibre internet connection.

Apr 16, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Nickiwi

This isn't a solution: it's a kludge. The very elegant Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave about now. I wonder if he can imagine a company that made its name via computers and computing getting carried away with watches and being more interested in making money. Photos may have been free, but customers who were relying on iPhoto all these years should have been asked.

I am absolutely FLABBERGASTED!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.