Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install iTunes 12.1.2

Hi,

I am prompted to install the latest version of iTunes via Apple Software Update. It downloads quite quickly, but then fails to install. It gets about two-thirds through the installation process. I get a very generic error afterwards (see image below).

I have tried installing it manually, but it tries to install as completely new software. I am fearful that I will lose my current library (songs, playlists, cover art etc.) and that I will have to recreate it (yet again!).

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong and/or how this problem can be resolved?

Many thanks

AJ

System specs: Windows 7, 32-bit operating system

iPod Touch 65 GB (purchased 2014)

Current iTunes is 12.1.1.4

User uploaded file

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:37 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 4:37 AM in response to Archway Jack

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apr 13, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Archway Jack

I had a similar problem and it drove me nuts for a couple days. I tried everything my tiny brain could produce and also tt2's suggestion on deleting and attempting to reinstall. Anyway, bottom line...... I downloaded and installed the iTunes for older video cards and it worked first time. Have no idea what or why. I'm done and may never upgrade again!! Good luck. Give it a try:

iTunes 12.1.2 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

Unable to install iTunes 12.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.