Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for OS X, migration from Aperture

i shouldn't have, but I have, migrated all my aperture photos into the new photos on OS X. Because not all the metadata is present on some old pics, it's messed them all up! I need to update all the data in aperture when I have time, then import them all.

is there are way you can reverse the migration process, and start again from scratch?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 6:04 AM

The migration let Aperture and your Aperture library installed, if you did not delete them.

So simply launch Aperture again. It will try to open the old library and give a warning, that the library has been migrated. Select "Open Aperture" from this panel.

7 replies

Apr 12, 2015 10:40 PM in response to AppleUK100

not sure it does, just asks if you sure you want to use aperture again given Photos is so awesome .

I did the same, i imported all photos into the New photos but want to reverse the process and go back to as if nothing had changed .

Apparently, when you inittiate the Photos Import - the the NEW photos library copies over the masters from aperture and leaves Aperture with references to the new Library ??

So how do we reverse this and reset the New photos ? .

Apr 12, 2015 10:56 PM in response to Arsalan Haque

Apparently, when you inittiate the Photos Import - the the NEW photos library copies over the masters from aperture and leaves Aperture with references to the new Library ??

So how do we reverse this and reset the New photos ? .

Both libraries are sharing the same files by hard links. Hard links are different from aliases or symbolic links. Both libraries will work on its own, even if you delete the other library. That is why they are showing nearly the same file size in the Finder. You can delete one of the libraries and the other will continue to work.

See: Six Colors: The (hard) link between Photos and iPhoto

Or: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Arsalan Haque

I wonder if the changed extension on the old Iphoto or aperture library matters ?

The changed extension will be replaced by the original extension, once the library has been opened again in Aperture. The first time you try to open the library again in aperture you will see a warning, that the library has been migrated, and if you really want to open it in Aperture. Simply click the "Open Aperture" button. SEE: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support

Photos for OS X, migration from Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.