Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor (or Finder?) acts weird

Hi!

Have used the same setup (hardware and software) a year and a half without this kind of issue. But about a month ago, it started.

1. When hovering a link, regardless if on a website or e.g. a program, the cursor turns into a hand (or any other way it's indicating that it's a link). But nothing happens when I then click. I have to move the cursor around inside the "active" area of the link of the link and click several times before something actually happens.

2. When trying to select certain text or code in a file, it usually starts out OK, i.e. the text/code is being selected as I wish while moving the cursor. But suddenly, it flips and the text/code that was seleced an instant ago becomes "unselected" and parts of the text/code that I haven't yet reached with the cursor becomes selected. (Hope you understand what I'm trying to describe).

3. When e.g. trying to set the cursor at some certain point, e.g. inside a text or code, it's hard to make it stick. I'm forced to move the cursor around a little bit while clicking to make it stick.

I suspect it's my Plexgear mouse that's about to retire completely. But I'm worried that it might be the OS itself and/or Finder that is at fault. So, before buying a new mouse (I'm lazy and greedy) I thought I'll pop the question here.....

What could this come from?

Cheers,

Dan

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), It's gray. :-)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:53 AM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2015 6:10 AM in response to Community User

Dan Vendel wrote:

I suspect it's my Plexgear mouse that's about to retire completely. But I'm worried that it might be the OS itself and/or Finder that is at fault. So, before buying a new mouse (I'm lazy and greedy) I thought I'll pop the question here.....

What could this come from?

I agree with your assessment - one common factor here is that many apps are having issues when you use this mouse.

Trying another mouse is the simplest way to rule that out. Do you have any others like the original one that shipped with the Mac Pro?

You may find that blowing into the mouse can clear out detritus that can make it behave for a short period of time afterwards, however these issues usually reappear when hardware is old/ dirty or failing. Check the laser for hair to fluff - it can make the pointer erratic. You should also try other USB ports and examine the cable for signs of crimping, bent or damaged areas (if it is a wired mouse).

If you want to test the OS try safe a boot…

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

That will feel 'slow & laggy' because it disables third party extensions & some inessential Apple extensions too (like advanced graphics support). Bluetooth mice & ones that require software for extra features may not work in this mode - test as much as possible. If the clicking is still bad inside a safe boot you may consider hardware is the issue. Reboot to go back to a normal OS (it may show a progress bar - this is normal after a safe boot).

Your simplest option is to fight the laziness & try another mouse if you can borrow one 🙂

Cursor (or Finder?) acts weird

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.