Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto update not available in U.S. Store

My iphoto app needs to be updated compatible with yosemite. However, whenever I select to download the apps store states the update is not available in U.S. store

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:53 AM

28 replies

Apr 12, 2015 5:15 AM in response to JSFICK

I had this problem as well.

I updated my iMac to Yosemite yesterday, and my iPhoto app had a line (like a no smoking sign) through it, indicating it couldn't be opened.

Naturally I went to the Mac App Store to try to update iPhoto to the latest version (9.6.1), but I discovered that (since Photos for OS X came out) Apple no longer allow ANYONE to download or update iPhoto!

This is crazy. There must be millions of people out there now who can't open their iPhoto libraries.

Fortunately I managed to solve the problem by copying the iPhoto 9.6.1 app file out of the Macintosh HD > Applications folder on a friend's Mac, and dragging it into the same location on mine.

Apr 12, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 12, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence.

I tried this last night, but there was no iPhoto in my Updates list, and no iPhoto in Purchased list either. And yes, even in View My Account > Hidden Items there's no sign of iPhoto in there either.

So, I think a lot of users (who, like me, were previously on Mountain Lion) will be in a situation where they officially cannot download iPhoto 9.6.1 from Apple.

Apr 12, 2015 11:05 AM in response to anabeal

There's a workaround/hack that will let users run iPhoto 9.5.1 and later on 10.10.3.

1 - open the iPhoto application package by Control (right) - clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents from the contextual menu.

2 - navigate to the Contents/MacOSX folder.

3 - make an alias file of the iPhoto file inside that folder and move it to the Desktop.

4 - to launch iPhoto double click on the alias file. It can be placed anywhere on the hard drive and dragged into the Dock for convenience.

Notes:

1 - the Terminal application will open and must remain open while you're using iPhoto It can be hidden so it won't get in the way.

2 - I've tested this with both iPhoto 9.5.1 and iPhoto 9.6. It does not work with earlier versions.

Thanks to user Todd Dixen for this tip.

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2015 6:46 PM in response to Old Toad

In response to Old Toad, Thanks. This worked. But what a completely wonky and ridiculous situation! I need a more permanent/stable solution, but Terence Devlin's advise doesn't work for me. My account information page in the App store does not have any options regarding hiding/unhiding purchases. Plus I don't think I ever purchased iPhoto - it came with the computer.

So what now? I do not trust this alias situation AT ALL. I also do not have the Photos app to transition to and it doesn't appear in the App store. I don't even have a Pictures folder anymore.

beyond frustrated with Apple. Any help appreciated.

Jul 1, 2015 4:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

Like many others, I "upgraded" to Yosemite yesterday and when it finished my iPhoto had a null sign over it, I was told I need to update iPhoto, but iPhoto is no longer available.

I tried your recommendation to unhide purchased apps, but my Account Information page in the App Store does not have any options regarding hiding/unhiding. (Also, I'm really not sure if I ever purchased iPhoto, though I probably did at some point. I do not remember what version I had.)

So I tried what Old Toad recommended (above): right-clicking iPhoto, navigating to the contents/MacOS folder, and creating an alias. The alias works - all my photos are there - but it's a temporary situation.

I don't know why my Pictures folder (and Music and Movies folders) is no longer there. And I don't know why the new OS wouldn't include Photos if that's what it's replacing iPhoto with.

I do not have a back up, so looking for another solution. I know I know... Please don't wash your hands of me because of that!

thanks for your reply.

iPhoto update not available in U.S. Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.