Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery rundown with iOS 8.3 on iPhone 4S

uupgraded to iOS 8.3 last week, and have been having horrible battery life since then. The phone drained between 10p-6a from a full charge; with iOS 8.2, it lost 20% in the same spot overnight. I've turned off background update, iCloud Keychain, all the other stuff cited online ... most ominously, when I check Usage I see just a spinning wheel, no percentage stats. Dearest phone, why won't you tell me how you've been partying all night long?

if anyone's found a fix, please let me know. Apple, if you're listening, please update this so I (ahem) don't need to run out and buy a iPhone 6.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 11:40 AM

Apple's not listening--you would have known this had you actually read the Terms of Use of this forum that YOU agreed to by signing up to post.

Have you taken the basic troubleshooting steps Apple recommends? What exactly HAVE you done to troubleshoot your issue?

Best,

GDG

10 replies

Apr 12, 2015 10:47 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Who reads T&Cs, seriously?

Things I tried that made scant difference: Turning off auto brightnes, hard reset, turning off locations, turning off background refresh, quitting non-essential apps, turning off iCloud Keychain, quitting all apps, turning off Facebook movie playing under all conditions.

Things that may have helped: Turning off wifi/Bluetooth while in poor cell areas, setting mail to fetch manually instead of every 15m.

Any recommendations from other users?

Apr 14, 2015 9:34 AM in response to gdgmacguy

Seriously, GDG? Do you actually consider your condescending reply to be helpful? And signing off with "Best" does not mask your disingenuity.

And how exactly did this question get marked "Solved?" Sure it is. Ha!

Wormbrains, the best explanation I've seen suggests that the problem may lie with misbehaving apps that have yet to be updated for 8.3. If so, only time (or one-by-one deletion of apps) will tell. And if it is a problem with the iOS, hopefully Apple (who does read many of the posts here) will resolve it soon.

This is a serious problem for many of us. Especially those of us with older phones with aging batteries.

Apr 14, 2015 9:51 AM in response to AmericanBadger

Hey AmericanBadger, thank you for your polite reply -- let's try to keep this thread friendlier than a Reddit cesspool, because there's a lot of us having this problem right now. Caustic remarks aren't going to help solve these issues.

After changing my settings as above, I still had rundown yesterday afternoon while the phone was sitting idle on my desk, display off. It's a location with good wifi but 1-2 bars of AT&T cell coverage:

- 3:20p, 83% charge, open apps were Safari, FB, Mail, Phone, Text

- 4:30, 71% charge

- 5:14, 62% charge

The Usage monitor showed a lot of recent activity with Safari, so I thought maybe there was some background activity running?

One thing I noticed is that my iCloud storage #s looked wacky, and iCloud Drive/Keychain were turned on -- I had turned both off last week. I was able to get iCloud Drive to turn off, but Keychain kept on turning back on. So maybe Safari and Keychain are running in the background and sucking battery life?

I've seen another iOS 8.3 Battery Drain thread that recommends logging out of iCloud to ameliorate these issues. I'm reluctant to take that step; hoping there's some other way to solve this.

I'm talking with Apple Support this afternoon, and will update the thread if they suggest a fix.

Apr 16, 2015 2:16 AM in response to wormbrains

hello,

after ios 8.3, i have the same problem with my 4S ( new battery, 6 months old ). my girlfriend who has the same device, no problem.

i've tried everything to solve but nothing yet.

shutting down 3g of wifi does help a little ( this night 25 % loss instead of 50 ). its the only thing that helps a little

i have also noticed when you look in the menu at the battery you can see a stand-by time which is almost similar with the usage time. like this night 10.50 h stand-by but also 10 h in use ??? and when having 3g or wifi it drains the battery.

i don't have the impression that, when using the device, it drains more than before, only when not using.

hope there will be a solution soon........

Apr 18, 2015 8:00 AM in response to cp5017

as a final attempt to solve this i've installed IOS8.2 again, but sadly not with the result i've hoped for. battery still drains, although a bit less then before but still around 15% in 2.5 h, and stand-by / usage time of the battery are still alike.

i've made a comparison with the device of my girlfriend within the settings but everything is similar, except for the standby / usage time which is correct in her case.

i'm out of options now 😠

Apr 23, 2015 5:08 PM in response to wormbrains

The problem with the 8.3 update and the horrible battery drain on my 4s is now gone. I had tried practically everything I have read about with no effect. I turned off Background Refresh and Location Services, reset the phone, removed a number of apps, etc. Many things, in fact.

There has been much speculation about what has caused this problem, and best I can tell, Apple has not publicly addressed it. Of course it's possible that an iOS update could cause such an issue, but the most reasonable explanation I have found is misbehaving apps that need to be updated.

On Tuesday morning, there were 12 apps on my phone that had updates available. I updated them. Suddenly my phone's battery is behaving like it did before the update. It has been 3 days now and everything appears to be fine. I had changed no settings (nor made any other changes) in several days, so it seems obvious to me that one or more of these apps were causing my problems. For what it's worth, I read every last "What's New" in these updates and not one mentioned anything that suggested a fix for power or battery issues.

Since my issue is resolved, I have no way of determining which of these apps were (or may have been) causing the problem, but I am listing them here for the benefit of the community:

Kroger

Skype for iPhone

Spotify Music

Accuweather

SoundHound

IMDB Movies and TV

Dictionary.com

Weather Underground

TuneIn Radio

Sputnik!

Schlotsky's Lotz4Me

Dark Sky

Jun 20, 2015 8:15 AM in response to AmericanBadger

Hello! I'm facing the same issue on my iPhone 4s running on iOS 8.3. So, if I need to consider updating apps which otherwise might gobble-up the battery, I shouldn't think about it for the next second! I need to do that ASAP. There are three apps that need update and haven't been updated since 6 months. The reason being, they have "some" features that I could be lost/removed if I update them.

Apps like ShareIt, Xender and iZip Pro to be specific. They offered sharing Music Files and I would lose that option if I update them, and that's the reason I haven't updated them since 6 or more months. Guess that's the reason? I'll delete them and check if I face battery drain issues. I'll post my battery benchmark score below.

Jun 20, 2015 8:45 AM in response to wormbrains

Hey @wormbrains. You're not the only one to be a victim of this battery drain issue. That being said, Apple might patch the issue in iOS 9, hopefully, since it is a major issue even for an old phone. It's not something they would just throw away from the table. I pray they fix that issue.

I'm losing 1% every minute if I use it. On standby, it's approximately 1% every hour.

I'll post the battery benchmark scores below. It might help, or atleast if Apple reads this, they'll understand what's going on suddenly with iOS 8.3 that never existed before.

TEST 1A:

Here's the battery Benchmark result when Transparency (Settings>General>Accessibility>Increase Contrast>Reduce Transparency) was ON but Wi-Fi was turned OFF during the test (and turned ON later)

User uploaded file

TEST 1A:

Detailed

User uploaded file

TEST 1B:

Here's another (second) round of the test where Transparency was turned on as well as Wi-Fi throughout the test; The results are horrible:

User uploaded file

Just take a look at the Battery Runtime. 20 minutes for the battery to drop from 64% to 72%.

TEST 1B:

Detailed

User uploaded file

So the conclusion of this test is, there's some trouble with iOS 8.3 itself. Or why would I worry so much now about this issue when transparency already existed since iOS 7 through now?

Hope you share this image wherever possible and whenever/if you think this might lead to an update that might put a hold to Battery Drain issues once and for all, to all those iPhone users throughout the world.

Battery rundown with iOS 8.3 on iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.