Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XAVC-S to FCP 7?

Hi,

I recently bought Sony's alpha 7 mrk ii. I can shoot video with AVCHD but wanted to check the better encoder XAVC-S. I'm working with FCP 7 and it does not recognize the file (although I can still play the file with QT - a bit strange. I guess I'm missing something here...).
I searched online and found several external software that can convert XAVC-S to ProRes 422. Does anyone have tried out one of these softwares? Any other solution?

Thanks a lot!

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 10:14 AM

I work with a Sony A7s and use XAVC extensively.

FCP will not work correctly with the XAVC camera file.

You can convert the file to an edit friendly format for FCP-7 by converting it to ProRes.

EditReady by Divergent Media is a very good application for this:

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

They have a free trial download for you to test the workflow, it is limited to transferring only the first 60 seconds of the file, but that should be enough to verify it for you.

Workflow - Batch process your camera files in EditReady, then import those converted files into FCP for editing. Note that you are importing the files not Log and Transferring them.

Your other choice is to look at a more modern editor - both FCP-X and Premiere Pro support editing XAVC directly, without conversion.

MtD

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 10:14 AM in response to ysense

I work with a Sony A7s and use XAVC extensively.

FCP will not work correctly with the XAVC camera file.

You can convert the file to an edit friendly format for FCP-7 by converting it to ProRes.

EditReady by Divergent Media is a very good application for this:

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

They have a free trial download for you to test the workflow, it is limited to transferring only the first 60 seconds of the file, but that should be enough to verify it for you.

Workflow - Batch process your camera files in EditReady, then import those converted files into FCP for editing. Note that you are importing the files not Log and Transferring them.

Your other choice is to look at a more modern editor - both FCP-X and Premiere Pro support editing XAVC directly, without conversion.

MtD

Apr 12, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi Meg The Dog,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I'll check it out. I think this is what I'm looking for.

Sony made a plug-in for FCP X. I wish it had made one for FCP 7.😕 I know so many editors who prefer to stay with 7 (they say it looks like i-movie to them). Personally I didn't take a close look at 10, but obviously it has many advantages with importing

Thanks again!

Apr 13, 2015 3:05 PM in response to ysense

The quality is the same. The codec for ProRes exceeds the quality of XAVC, at the expense of file size.

Converting a lower quality codec into a higher quality one does not improve the quality of the source file, it only means that it won't be degraded in any way (but again, the file size of the ProRes file will be much larger than the XAVC).

Think of it this way - if you are charged with storing a diamond ring, you can either pack it in a ring size jewelry box, or in a shipping crate. Although the shipping crate will certainly protect the ring better, there will be a lot of unused space in it, and it won't improve the quality of the diamond.

MtD

Apr 14, 2015 10:44 AM in response to ysense

Adobe Creative Cloud comes with a very excellent Color Corrector called Speedgrade. Currently, Premiere Pro "direct links" to Speedgrade, meaning from within Premiere you can move your sequence into Speedgrade, make color corrections, and return to Premiere Pro to continue to edit.

Also, the next iteration of Premiere Pro (due out shortly) has integrated a lot of Speedgrade functionality directly into the editor - reducing the need to use the Color Corrector as a separate app - along with many other enhancements:

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/premiere-pro-massive-color-upgrades-recent-adobe -announcement

MtD

XAVC-S to FCP 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.