Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I reformat my mac? Getting a weird error.

First of all, my 2012 15" rMBP on Yosemite 10.10.3 runs perfectly fine. I have very small issues here and there but it's rare. Every few months I do repair disk permissions and do a verify disk thing using the disk utility though. I don't remember the last time I actually verified the disk itself, maybe a year or so ago. Anyways, today during my rare check up, it said that I in fact did need to repair the disk, and I needed to restart the computer and go into the disk utility during the restart. Easy enough!

Well, upon running that process for a few minutes, I get this error...

User uploaded file

Once again, my mac runs perfectly fine right now. Haven't had any issues. I backed it all up today too so I do have a very recent backup. Is it worth me reformatting the disk and restoring my files if I'm not having issues? Does this error somehow spell doom for my mac or something? Rather confused that it's asking me to perform such a serious task considering things are running well and have been for a while.

Or should I just make sure I make backups pretty regularly and wait for something to actually happen before I reformat?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 11:38 AM

How did you backup the disk drive?

To fix the error you are going to need to reformat the disk drive. Once you reformat all the data on the disk drive will be gone so you need a different place to boot from. My usual suggestion in case like this is to create a bootable clone. This can be done with either CCC or SuperDuper. You will probably need another disk drive for the bootable clone.

This error should be repaired. It is a problem with the directory which operating system uses to keep track of your data. If you don't fix it, it can worst and cause the total lose of all data.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Breadman86

How did you backup the disk drive?

To fix the error you are going to need to reformat the disk drive. Once you reformat all the data on the disk drive will be gone so you need a different place to boot from. My usual suggestion in case like this is to create a bootable clone. This can be done with either CCC or SuperDuper. You will probably need another disk drive for the bootable clone.

This error should be repaired. It is a problem with the directory which operating system uses to keep track of your data. If you don't fix it, it can worst and cause the total lose of all data.

Apr 12, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Breadman86

Eventually, they may. Do as instructed. Backup the drive. Boot from the Recovery HD:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed. You can restore your data from the backup.

Apr 12, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Kappy

Will doing this affect my boot camp partition as well? As in, going through this process, will I have to go back and re-set-up boot camp, install Windows 8.1, get all my software back on their too, in addition to OSX?

Not going to reformat right now since I have no symptoms of any problems (and never have had symptoms), but it's good to know that it needs to be done soon. I'll make time in the next week or two hopefully to go through that whole process.

Apr 12, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Breadman86

See if you can see any important files in the lost+found directory at the base of the disk, these may have lost their file suffix & filetype, so you may need to examine them to work out if they are plain text, jogs, binary files etc. The unix 'file' command may indicate the type, or you may need to look at them in different apps to work out what type they are.

Breadman86 wrote:

Or should I just make sure I make backups pretty regularly and wait for something to actually happen before I reformat?

That depends… are you able to keep a copy of every backup you make?

Filesystem damage may result in file corruption, that corruption will creep into the backups. If you overwrite each backup copy you can lose data.

You have a warning now, act upon it.

Also backup the Windows partition too - it could be the SSD coming to an end.

Apr 12, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Breadman86

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Apr 13, 2015 1:41 AM in response to Breadman86

I believe that the backup tools would all back up the corrupted versions of the files.

The filesystem check tried to pull out the items it thought may be orphaned files (that is what the lost+found folder is about).

To resolve it after the fact you would have to work out what files were corrupted at which point in time to get back your data intact.

The image lists almost 1.5 million files in that partition, many are irrelevant system files but it still would makes me worry that data may be lost & how practical it is to rescue them.

@Parrish Jones,

You should create a new thread - your issue may be unrelated and may need in-depth help if you want to look into it.

Apr 13, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Parrish Jones

Parrish Jones wrote:

@Drew

You made a post that referenced me and said I should start a new thread. The problem I am having, in my opinion, is directly related to this problem. It appeared and has the same features as the problem raised here with one exception, it is an external hard drive. It happened with the installation of !0.10.3 and same message.

It is fine that you think it is related.

Continue to post in this thread if you feel it is the correct place - I think it is better to avoid any potential 'thread hijacking' - to me it is equivalent to talking over another person in a conversation that you didn't start.

Experienced users go into detail when you take time to create your own thread because the know that keeping track of many 'me too' posts with slightly nuanced differences is difficult. Also be aware that you can't award points in this thread - some people want the rewards for helping, you have no power to do that in this thread.

Here is why I think you are wrong…

1. You have an external Seagate drive (probably a spinning disk), the OP has an internal Mac SSD.
  2. You have assumed the same error message means the exact same problem - that is not always the case.
  3. The OP appears to have a dying disk, you have told us so little that all we know is you think Apple have screwed you over somehow.
  4. Sometimes disks just die, all hardware has a limited lifespan.
  5. Sometimes OS updates cause an underlying error to be revealed - has it occurred to you that maybe 10.10.2 was failing to catch the error that 10.10.3 is now showing? 'Bugs & fixes' can go both ways.
  6. There isn't a shortage of threads, there is no need to ration them. You can link between threads to indicate where people need to reference other info.
  7. Even with your own thread you can still post here & get replies in both.

What do you have to lose by making a new thread? What do you have to gain?

I have said too much offtopic here, I'm not going to engage in a discussion here with you here Parrish Jones, see how many replies you get here & then decide if you need your own thread.

Apr 14, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Drew Reece

Bah, sounds like it's gonna be quite a pain to deal with then! I have a genius bar appointment today so I'll be curious to hear what they say. If I have to, I'm fine with doing a complete re-install from scratch, and just drag the files I over that I want to keep (pics, music, personal documents) then re-install apps from scratch, rather than going a restore from Time Machine.

The whole thing is slightly annoying considering my computer isn't having any issues though. But if this is a warning sign then I definitely need to pay attention.

Apr 14, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Breadman86

You asked a hypothetical question, which I replied to.

You appear to have taken this as a 'status report of your current situation' - that isn't entirely accurate.

I don't know what files were damaged & if the damage has got into your backups. Please don't assume the worst, just take stock of what the situation is…

You said the Mac still works & you haven't seen any apparent issues.

You can fit a new disk & clone your old disk onto it - the Mac should work just as well as it is doing, but with less chance of hard disk failure.

Let us know what the store say.

Apr 14, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Drew Reece

Update after having gone to my local Genius Bar...

Apparently there are no problems. They ran a whole HD diagnostic and it passed with flying colors. Then they ran the same test I did, verifying the disk for errors, and it came back with absolutely nothing. No problems at all. I showed them the picture I took in the first post and he said that he'd seen that problem before, and it was weird that it wasn't coming up again.

Bizarre. But I'm happy at least that there aren't any issues.

Should I reformat my mac? Getting a weird error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.