Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i backup i pad air ?

Why do i get backup i pad air message, ami supposed to back it up

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2, model md788ll/a 12 gb 6.1 ava

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 1:24 PM

16 replies

Apr 12, 2015 1:31 PM in response to jimtownrc

Where are you getting this message. Is it something to the effect that your iPad hasn't been backed with iCloud for XX weeks. Backups occur..... Something like that? If so, then you must have selected to backup with iCloud but your iPad hasn't been plugged in to recharge and locked in order for an automatic iCloud backup to take place.

Try Settings>iCloud>Backup>On>Enter your iCloud password when prompted to do so then tap on Backup now.

Apr 12, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Demo

My wife uses it, so i haven't seen the message, she did not want to mess around with cloud "not techie", so i don't have any more help info

How would she back it up to ITunes ? The latest os update has never been done as it will not install.

All my backups are done on ext hard drives, can you do that with her ipad air? Be simpler, faster.

thanks

Apr 12, 2015 1:49 PM in response to jimtownrc

Read the link that FoxFifth posted for you above. That explains how to backup with iCloud or with iTunes. Before she backups up either way or does anything with regard to iTunes. It is very important that she provide more information as to what the exact wording of the message is that she is getting. If she has never used iTunes before, it will take some work for her to make her computer's iTunes work properly with her iPad without erasing it.

Apr 12, 2015 5:24 PM in response to FoxFifth

At some point there was an update done, , and when it came tp the options of I Cloud, she canceled or closed out that area, so it's possible that message may be related , she is not set up on ICloud, so going away from that, if she wanted it backed up by one of my pcs i'd have to have the latest I Tunes, which i don't use. Then can you back it up to an external hard drive, with the pc and I Tunes?

Apr 12, 2015 6:52 PM in response to jimtownrc

The quote below from Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support shows the iTunes backup location for a Mac and various Windows PC operating systems. iTunes doesn't have an option to change that to an external drive although there are ways in Windows (that I don't currently have details or ability to clearly explain) that may allow you to get around that.

Where your backups are stored

The folder where your backup data is stored depends on your computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your data-backup routine. iTunes places the backup files in these places:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your Home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.
  • Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then press Return.
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, then choose Run. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then click OK.

Apr 13, 2015 10:08 AM in response to jimtownrc

You can backup to the main drive on the computer and then drag-and-drop (or cut-and-paste) from there to the external drive - using the 'junction' should mean that you don't have to do any extra steps.

Not everything is stored in a backup, neither iTunes nor iCloud - for iTunes purchases (music, films, apps et) an iTunes restore will look to pick them up from the iTunes library (so you should also do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases to copy any iTunes purchase over to the iTunes library) ; an iCloud restore will redownload what it can from the store (so will rely on the items still being in the store, not having moved countries since buying them, and the type of content being redownloadable in your country ; audiobooks and tones are one-time only downloads in all countries, so won't be restored).

How long an iCloud backup will take will depend upon how much is her content e.g. photos, documents, files ; iTunes purchases aren't copied back up to the cloud, they will be available to the restore (if they are remain in the store) - and how quick your connection is.

Backing up to iTunes or iCloud : Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

iCloud backup overview : iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

iTunes backups : Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2015 11:36 AM in response to jimtownrc

jimtownrc wrote:

If she gets set up with I Cloud how many hours does it take to back up, i'm not sure if she has 6 or 8 g on the Air.

What are the obstacles of getting it dome right, i see lots of users with all kinds of issues?

In my case a backup to iCloud takes only a few minutes. I have a high speed internet connection and not a lot of data.

There shouldn't be any obstacles. The only users who typically post here are the ones who have had an issue. The many millions who haven't had an issue have no reason to post here.

Apr 13, 2015 12:38 PM in response to jimtownrc

To backup to a computer she'd need to use iTunes.

She can backup to the cloud instead (or as well as to iTunes), and that has some advantages - if she has a problem with the iPad and needs to restore to a backup then she could do so on any accessible wifi network ; only backing up to a computer's iTunes could be an issue if she was away from home (e.g. holiday), she would have to wait until she could reconnect it to her computer before she could restore her content.

The advantages of using a computer, or at least copying purchases over to it, is that you have your own copy of any purchases so aren't reliant on them remaining in the store. Most items do stay in the store, but rights-holder occasionally remove media (music, films, tv programmes ; though if she hasn't bought any that won't be an issue)

how do i backup i pad air ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.