Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Account Makes Me Log in Every Time I Turn on Computer

I've had this problem ever since I got my Mac. When I first got my laptop, I selected "Import Later" to import all my files from my old laptop (a windows) to my new laptop. When I did import everything later, it made a new account, seperate from the one I had just made. I deleted my first account, which was originally an administrative account.

Now, whenever I turn my computer on, it makes me log into the deleted account before I can log into my actual account. I type in my password, then it gives me a white bar that loads up before going to the password for the correct account.

I've gone back and checked, and there is no sign of the deleted one in "Users and Groups". I have not found anyone with a similar problem. How do I get rid of this old account?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 1:06 PM

5 replies

Apr 12, 2015 6:13 PM in response to erinnatasha

That's not encouraging. Take a look at How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac. Also, see From Standard to Administrator - Hack Mac.

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait for it finish. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to setup your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See: Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

Deleted Account Makes Me Log in Every Time I Turn on Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.