Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug found - Restrictions Passcode

I believe that I have found a problematic bug with the Restrictions Passcode entry, but hopefully someone will convince me otherwise.

ISSUE:

I set up a Restrictions passcode on my young son's iPad Mini (1st Gen Wifi/AT&T/GPS 16GB, version 8.3). He clearly tried to guess the passcode, so when I wished to change the Restrictions, I saw the following on the Enter Passcode popup screen:

"Try again in 11,957,579 minutes / 6 Failed Passcode Attempts"

The minutes have been counting down, but it is still at 20+ years to input the passcode.

FAILED SOLUTION:

I plugged into iTunes, backed up onto my Mac and onto iCloud, restored the iPad to factory settings, and then restored the backup. This was in hopes that the 11M+ minutes would be wiped away to zero or something more reasonable. Still shows 11M+ minutes to wait.

DILEMMA:

He is begging me to save his app history (particularly Minecraft) before I wipe to factory and ask him to start from scratch.

QUESTION:

Has anyone encountered this Restrictions Passcode bug before? Any suggested solutions? Thanks!

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 1:57 PM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2015 4:07 AM in response to JimHdk

Thanks JimHdk, but unfortunately these processes did not solve the problem. t would follow logic that the process you suggested - restoring the device to factory and then restoring the backup would work - but it doesnt in this case. I have executed all of the recommended processes for disabled devices (twice in fact) to the letter. Afterwards, the Restrictions passcode cannot be typed in at all and there are still 11 million minutes to wait (I know the passcode if it would let me type it in).

Not sure how it could be normal behavior to have to wait 20.9 years (11+ million minutes) before the device allows a Restrictions passcode to be typed in. There is no logic in the size of that number. Has to be a bug, right?

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 4:27 AM in response to HTHarvin

I suspect that the problem arises when you restore to the backup after restoring to Factory. Since you took this backup after the device became disabled it contains the disabled state. Unless you have an older backup taken before the device was disabled you may just have to set it up as a new iPad and reload purchased Apps, etc. Game progress will be lost, of course. It sounds like a life lesson for your son.

Apr 13, 2015 8:26 AM in response to JimHdk

Thanks JimHdk. Unfortunately, you are correct. Thanks for your thoughts in any case.

If this is a bug, I hope that the Apple engineers reviewing this site will take note so that it is fixed going forward. We were hoping that there was already a fix, but if this helps someone in the future with much more important info than my son's minecraft worlds, then some good comes out of this dilemma.

Bug found - Restrictions Passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.