Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook (2015) for college?

I am looking at either a Macbook or the Macbook Air for college next year. I love the new MB.. retina display, Force Touch, new keyboard, light weight. However, I am still hesitant to buy. For those who have had experience, is the processing speed as slow as everyone claims it to be. Some have said that it's really more of the speed of an iPad, and the whole thing is really "an iPad without a touch screen and a built in keyboard." So my question is that did you find it to be consideribly slower than other Macs?

Also.. I am still slightly skeptical about the USB C port. I realize that it's the way of the future but will all the adapters become a pain? I don't use cables that often, but there's still that rare occasion. I'd just like to know if buying the adapter(s) will be a hassle or a non problem?

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 5:07 AM

Unless you are a "power user" with heavy graphics use I don't think you will notice the new MacBook being "slow" at all. The USB-C port will need an adapter to connect things like a flash drive if you want to do that while you have the MacBook powered by AC power. The adapter is about $79 and should give you the same connection capability of most any computer. If you do consider your Application needs, to require a more powerful processor you should consider the 13" MacBook Pro, which does offer the Force Touch trackpad and also the Retina Display.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 5:07 AM in response to jmclean1997

Unless you are a "power user" with heavy graphics use I don't think you will notice the new MacBook being "slow" at all. The USB-C port will need an adapter to connect things like a flash drive if you want to do that while you have the MacBook powered by AC power. The adapter is about $79 and should give you the same connection capability of most any computer. If you do consider your Application needs, to require a more powerful processor you should consider the 13" MacBook Pro, which does offer the Force Touch trackpad and also the Retina Display.

May 3, 2015 11:18 AM in response to jmclean1997

My son attends the local university and two years ago, I bought him a MB Air 11". The only time it is plugged in is when he needs to charge it. The new MacBook with retina screen will suit you just fine because the primary needs of a collage student is light weight and small size. Did I mention light weight and small size?

To prove this, I offered to trade him my MacBook Pro Retina which I handed to him as I made the offer. As soon as it was in his grasp, he shoved it back at me with a look of distain due to the amazing difference in weight, size and thickness. The new MacBook is better than the Air because it is lighter, thinner and has a retina screen. Retina screens are a game-changer improvement.

During Apple's keynote introducing the new MacBook, a passing explanation was made about connectively - modern version, that is. To view content a TV, just use AirPlay Display to an Apple TV. Get one of the newest AirPort Extreme Base Stations and attach a USB drive or powered hub. WiFI ac is about as fast transferring over the ancient FireWire. No SD card slot? Well, you don't need that either. Most cameras today have WiFI built-in or Bluetooth. And if your camera is also your iPhone, there is the Photo App and the iCloud for that. Don't need no stinking wires!

Of course as WiseJD replied, if you are a heavy graphics user or even a super video editor, MacBook may not work so well if it is your only machine. If that is case, as is with my son, he also has an iMac back in his room for his video editing and such (but actually uses the Air for most stuff, there as well.) The Air - or as his next machine will be, the new MacBook, is for taking between classes during the day. In fact, sometimes he just uses his iPad with a bluetooth keyboard case around campus.

May 3, 2015 11:44 AM in response to jmclean1997

I have the new 12" macbook, and have been waiting for something "macbook air like" with retina since 2010 when i pic up an 11" MBA.

The new macbook is NOT an iPad with a keyboard. I'm a developer, and have had Eclipse, JBoss, and a VM instance of Linux running at the same time with no issues. Further, i loaded Diablo 3 and it plays fine at native 1440p resolution at low settings.

The so called "professional" reviews you see comparing this to an iPad are incorrect. the same folks assigned to reviewing the new macbook review the iPads, and really don't have any computer skills and can barely use an iPad for crying out loud.

As for the USB-C port, well that may matter for you. I've used a 2010 MBA since 2010 daily, and almost never had the need to use any of the USB slots. If you have a lot going on, constantly plunging in peripherals, it may be an issue, and you may want to consider a desktop if thats the case.

However, there is a standard USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter that's pretty cheap. If you only need something like a flash drive, i picked this up http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-32gb-usb-type-c-flash-drive-black/6162114.p? id=1219659376699&skuId=6162114

It a 32GB flash drive with USB-C on one side, and legacy USB 3.0 on the other. Makes it great for me to do quick file transfers from my macbook to my iMac.

May 3, 2015 7:38 PM in response to John0001

Thanks for your reply! However, I have decided to go with the MBA 13 inch. I don't use cords often, however, there is still the rare occasion. I view the new MacBook as the Air when it was first released (2008?). Showed the future, but had a few flaws/uncertainties that were ahead of its time. Now the Air is what everyone tries to copy. I think the MB is the future; but until USB-C is accepted more, it will still be ahead of its time. like I said, cords are rare with me but they still happen. I love the MacBook but give it a few years and it will be even better. That's how most apple products work anyway.

Bit even at that, the Air is by no means a "bad" laptop!

May 3, 2015 9:21 PM in response to jmclean1997

I'd just like to know if buying the adapter(s) will be a hassle or a non problem?

A hassle.

I would buy a MacBook Pro with a built-in optical SuperDrive. I like having the ability to watch DVDs on the go. It's true, that this MacBook Pro will weigh about 2 pounds more, no big deal to me. Moreover, every possible connector is already there. No adapters!

May 3, 2015 10:32 PM in response to Ziatron

It really depends on your personal needs. I, for example, have my entire movie library on iTunes and just stream them to the apple TV, Mac, or iPhone/iPad (i don't even download them anymore). If you're one that still has round pieces of plastic with microscopic holes in them (DVD/Blu-Ray disks), legacy technology may be better for you 🙂. I will make one recommendation; if you need all of these peripherals, you may want to consider a desktop computer like an iMac. Laptops are designed to be portable, and you may not be looking for that. Desktops are more static, and hold well for connecting a bunch of stuff to them like DVD/Blu-Ray drives, printers, scanners, and other uncommon wireless technology.

New Macbook (2015) for college?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.