Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching Mail on iPad and iPhone

Both in my iPad and iPhone searching Mail only brings up emails that I've sent. Why can't I find emails from others?

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 3:50 PM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2015 3:35 PM in response to judysings

The problem is solved, and it was due to my own lack of clear thinking about how things work. I'm describing it here with the thought that it might help some other person.

I READ email from whatever device is handy, but I MANAGE my email from my desk. On the desktop in Mail I have an "Archive" folder to which I direct all mail that I want to save. This folder is a function of my iCloud account.

Previously when searching for emails in iOS I was using the search box for "All Inboxes." However, those old emails weren't in any inbox; they were in the archive folder. Once I woke up and smelled the coffee, I started navigating to my Archive folder. Searching there solved the problem. I haven't had any issues since. So...it wasn't Apple's fault; just my own lack of awareness.

Searching Mail on iPad and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.