Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems adding photos in iBooks Author.

The new Photos app does not let me add pictures to books I am creating using iBooks Author. Any idea what needs to be done?

Photo-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 6:06 AM

It seems to be a bug of some sort. Someone seemed to have dropped the ball when designing the new Photo app. You can't drag and drop photos and the photos don't even show up in the media tab of IBA. I never used iPhoto in the past with my IBA projects, because I store my images in folders under my iBooks project files, so this issue won't affect me, but it will affect other users.

A solution is to drag the photos you need from your Photos app library to your desktop (or a folder). The photos are then available to be dragged into IBA (or you can choose the Insert --> Choose... command.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 6:06 AM in response to irenereyesg

It seems to be a bug of some sort. Someone seemed to have dropped the ball when designing the new Photo app. You can't drag and drop photos and the photos don't even show up in the media tab of IBA. I never used iPhoto in the past with my IBA projects, because I store my images in folders under my iBooks project files, so this issue won't affect me, but it will affect other users.

A solution is to drag the photos you need from your Photos app library to your desktop (or a folder). The photos are then available to be dragged into IBA (or you can choose the Insert --> Choose... command.

Oct 7, 2015 11:42 PM in response to irenereyesg

i should really be working on finishing my book, but i can't help myself to comment here.

first the good news. there are problems that stop you dead in your tracks and there are problems which have a decent work around. the former is a developers worst nightmare. the latter is just an inconvenience. this problem has a decent workaround, although i might have a different perspective if i used iPhoto. i don't. i keep all these types of files in folder, much like sb0117 above. hard drives are large and cheap enough. secure an external drive and move on. someday, maybe it won't be a bug anymore.

now the bad news. i've written before that it seems to me that apple has a reliability, availability and serviceability issue. i've used apple products since january 1982, perhaps before most of you were born. yes, there is a reason i am called richard the old. it wasn't until about 2012 or so that i became a developer. i was very happy as a mere user with their raw, even happy in the early days of iba while i was working on my first ebook. however, starting on or about november of 2014, when i decided to upgrade to the new keynote. i could no longer drag and drop a keynote document into a keynote widget. i got no where with apple support and i went back to the old keynote in order to continue on my second ebook. fast forward to end of june 2015 when i felt i could no longer not upgrade. i was getting too far behind in my software. i upgraded the mac os, keynote, iOS and iba. the first thing i noticed was that the keynote/iba problem was still a problem. lucky for me i stumpled upon the workaround. i wrote apple an email of complaint and to their credit, i received a nice email reply. but i ran into so many other problems, i lost the entire month of july. apple support provided me with some workarounds as did this forum, which i had just discovered. the combination of the two helped my get back on track to finish my second ebook, which i do believe will hit the bookshelf this month. my main reason why i explain this is that i ponder if ras really got worse recently or is it just a result of my newer role as a developer. unfortunately, i believe the former.

apple needs to spend more timed on producing software with better ras. i have no idea where the problem is, but possibilities include less capable software coding, insufficient quality assurance, especially testing the integration of new releases of software components have on other software components, to just s conscious favoring of getting new functionality into their products in a super competitive environment. perhaps apple needs to take a page out of ibm's circa early/mid 1980's playbook, who produced a major new release of their mainframe operating system which contained only ras improvements and no new functionality.

as an aside, i've been trying to help others on here as a result of the help i received last july.

Problems adding photos in iBooks Author.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.