Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Photos App take a very long time to upload 20 Pictures, while the Activity Monitor is showing much more data sent (MB) than these two pictues

The New photos app is taking a very long time to upload images. It stays a very long time at 20,104 for example. When I check the Activity Monitor (Network) it shows that the computer is actually uploading stuff. After about 2 hours, only 20 Pics&Videos are uploaded. The uploaded pics and videos are about 500MB while the data sent is around 1GB. I am positive that Photos is the only thing uploading data at the moment.

Anyone else facing this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:36 PM

14 replies

Apr 12, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Csound1

Hey Thanks for your reply,

I understand it can take days and weeks because of the library size and the upload however that's not the issue I'm talking about.

When I compare the network activity from Activity Monitor in OSX there's around 1GB of Data Uploaded in 30 minutes, however after those 30 minutes, only 600MB of images is appearing on iCloud. I hope this is clearer

Aug 3, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Csound1

Actually 65 hours is overly optimistic. The quoted speeds for upload are the raw wire speeds. However, all data sent needs to be placed in TCP packets, which are then encapsulated in IP packets. Best case for TCP/IP overhead is 2.5% (all packets maximum size, no retries), but remember that there are going to be a lot of partial packets, due to things like thumbnails and images not being exact multiples of packet payload size . (This is why Firewire 400 was always faster than USB 2, USB 2 was 480 Mb/s on the wire, but has a 30% overhead. Firewire 400 has only a 10% or less overhead and there are other factors that further improved Firewire performance.) There is also the unknown overhead for whatever protocol Photos uses to communicate with iCloud, which could easily add a significant overhead.

Then you need to add in congestion, changes in routes, lost packets, etc. Figure a minimum or 30% overhead for this sort of thing. A better estimate for your total upload would be 50% overhead, or about 90 hours to upload.

New Photos App take a very long time to upload 20 Pictures, while the Activity Monitor is showing much more data sent (MB) than these two pictues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.