Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest security update for Safari causing problems

Just did a Safari update yesterday and now I have several problems.

Can no longer open the App Store. It just spins & says "Cannot Open the App Store", "an internet connection is required". The computer is on the internet. Safari opens just fine.

Now when I try to open a secure site like my bank or vanguard, I now have to close a notice panel saying "Safari can't verify the Identity of the website". After clicking the continue button 3 or 4 times, I can get to the site.

Also, some sites like this Apple Discussion site, now have a scrambled area at the top & I have to scroll down to find the correct page.

Can anyone identify what may be the trouble?

Firefox works okay.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), null

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:46 PM

10 replies

Apr 13, 2015 8:53 AM in response to BRON

What version of the OS are you using?

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Try resetting the App Store and Clearing Cookies.

Reset Learned from Old Toad

Apr 13, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Eric Root

My OS is 10.8.5

I emptied the Caches and deleted all History with no change in getting the "Safari can't verify the Identity of the website" notice.

I don't know how the App Store problem is related to Safari, it won't open even when I am using Firefox browser. It still says the an Internet connection is required. Both problems just happened at the same update.

How do I reset the App Store?

Apr 13, 2015 9:49 AM in response to BRON

Same problem here. Just updated this morning -- OS X 10.8.5 (12F2518) -- now the App Store says “Cannot Connect to the App Store / An Internet connection is required.” Safari and Chrome are both throwing “Can’t verify the identity of the website” / “Your connection is not private” errors (NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID). In Safari, clicking on the Help question mark next to “Trust / When using this certificate: Use System Defaults” opens Help with a connection error: “The selected topic is currently unavailable / Make sure you’re connected to the Internet.”

Firefox is fine.

Clearly something’s wrong with the update for some systems. I’m on a MacBook Pro, Retina Mid 2012, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Thanks for any help!

Apr 13, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Sixten C Abbot

Update: I followed all of Linc Davis’ suggested steps here: Problem with iMessage Setup also reset the App Store Re: Hey guys, here's the deal: despite of the fact that I have all of the options at the Software Updated center all set up to perfectly receive updates notifications from Mac App Store, I'm not receiving none.

Nothing changed. One more detail, though: in Keychain, under System / Certificates, both “com.apple.kerberos.kdc” and “com.apple.systemdefault” are showing as “This certificate has not been verified by a third party.” On the other hand, these guys seem to think that’s a correct setting: http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25295

HELP. Thanks!

Apr 13, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Sixten C Abbot

Solved the problem of getting the message “Can’t verify the identity of the website” every time I went to a web site. When you get the panel that this is on, select to view the certificate, then check the box stating that you want to trust that site.

Still no clue on how to get App Store to find an internet connection. Any thing new on this ?

Latest security update for Safari causing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.