Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 8,1 will not boot to OS, shows Instructions to shutdown and restart on Kernel screen...

When powering unit on, the initial startup screen shows the Kernel info and "imposed" over it is a window that states to "re-start" by pressing and holding power button down and then powering unit back up....

I have performed this action several times...all with the same result....how do I get this unit to power up and boot to the OS? I have too many pics, etc...to lose!

I tried the "safe" boot...tried the "recovery" as well....once restarted, here's what I got::

User uploaded file

...here's another photo:

User uploaded file

...when I attempted to "re-install" OS X Lion....it stated the HD was LOCKED! I can't seem to get any further than one of these two screens...

"ANY" thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you so much for your time & effort on this matter....

Scott <><

MacBook Pro, Darwin Kernel Version: 11.4.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:10 PM

8 replies

Apr 12, 2015 5:59 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

First of all..."Thank You" for your time AND assistance!

I did the following per your request:

*** I "re-set" the SMC as well as the NVRAM...

...one thing the unit is doing now that it hadn't done in the past is make a "noise" through the speaker(s)!!!

*** I attempted to start the unit in "safe-boot" but it goes straight to the screen stating to shut the unit down... -{ ..the 1st pic in my initial question... }-

Any "other" options I can try???

Thanks again bunches!

Scott <><

Apr 12, 2015 6:42 PM in response to smeadows00

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Apr 13, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Don't you think that it will be difficult to perform some of the activities you have suggested since the MBP will not boot?

Ciao.

Apr 13, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Grane Duke

Grane Duke wrote:

The OP can take the back up by the means of Target Disk mode by avoiding the fuss of taking out the drive and searching for an enclosure for the hard disk to take the backup.

Simply by connecting to another mac if possible...!!

Yes, that certainly is a possible option assuming that the MBP will boot onto Target Disk mode, another Mac is available and the appropriate connecting wire is at hand.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro 8,1 will not boot to OS, shows Instructions to shutdown and restart on Kernel screen...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.