Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes & Recovery Refuses to Update with 10.10.3

I Have been experiencing a lot of trouble with my 2011 MacBook Pro when I went to download the new 10.10.3 update a couple days ago. As fair warning, I am forced to use crappy HughesNet Satellite internet due to living on a farm. With that said, I have plenty of usage remainning and have done many connectivity tests, all was fine. I tried several times to download the update and I was unsuccessful 3 times. It would get to the "one minute remaining..." and then fling up a pop up window that said "System Requirements Have Changed." You could click View or Cancel. I tried both, neither worked or did anything. The window would just disappear and then show that nothing at all was updated. On the last time I tried the update, it successfully claimed it updated but came through in multiple updates with different titles. I can view all the individual updates in the App Updater, under Updates in the Last 30 Days. I have tried several times since to download the two remaining portions of the update, one is ITunes the other a Recovery Update. I have now been unsuccessful another 3 times, the updates refuse to take. The little 1 bubble remains at the top left corner as a badge on the App Update on the dock. Checking iTunes shows it didn't update to the newest version. Restarting and turning off for a full 24 hours hasn't worked either. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 8:12 PM

7 replies

Apr 13, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, unfortunately that link doesn't help much, I have already attempted to download via that link. Same issue.

What is weird and I forgot to mention in my original post, is that in the "Updated Within the Last 30 Days" section within the app updater, it says that both ITunes and that Recovery portion WERE in fact updated. It also has those two listed at the top saying it wasn't, with the "update now" button available. Checking within ITunes shows it was not though. Hence the reason I tried multiple restarts on the computer and shutting it down for a full 24 hours.

I can't seem to find anywhere in the forums where something similiar may have happened to someone else. It's really odd. I have plenty of storage open on my computer and updated the RAM in the last year. It's hard drive is also only a year old now as I had it replaced by Apple. I have updated my computers operating system many times via HughesNet with no issues. So this one has me a bit baffled!? Wonder if I should set up an Apple Genius appointment. I had Apple Care for this computer but obviously, it has since expired.

Apr 13, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Halfmagic3

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select

/var/log install.log

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. The contents of the log will appear on the right. Each log message begins with a timestamp. Select the messages from the time of the last installation or update attempt. If you're not sure when that was, click the Clear Display button in the toolbar of the Console window and then try the installation again. Select the new messages that appear. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

☞ If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

☞ When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

☞ Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

☞ Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting. You may need to use a text editor with search and replace, such as TextEdit.

Apr 13, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

Here is what I got. I hope this helps. I had to clear the display because there was WAY too much code in there and I was unsuccessful at locating the last update attempt. After clearing it and attempting to reinstall (which again was unsuccessful), it was pretty easy to find. Let me know if this isn't all of it, as I am not super familiar with this code. Thanks!

4/13/15 10:26:19.650 AM com.apple.mtmd[49]: Set snapshot time: 2015-04-13 10:26:21 -0400 (current time: 2015-04-13 10:26:19 -0400)

4/13/15 10:26:55.554 AM mds[60]: (DiskStore.Normal:2382) 10001 1.000008

UPDATE: Seconds ago, this just popped up...

4/13/15 10:27:06.523 AM firefox[1090]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

Apr 13, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Halfmagic3

I suspect that your Internet connection is causing the problem. If there's an Apple Store within reach, go there and use their network to download the update. If it still doesn't work, see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Apr 13, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Will do! Thank you so much for your time on this issue.

I think I will attempt to take it in to an Apple Store to start with. When I had the hard drive replaced last year, I had to actually go back a few times because of some other system issues. I do believe the Internet could be causing it but just in case it isn't, it would be nice to be around someone who has all the answers. Ha ha 🙂 I do have a back up already done and in place on a Tetra drive, just as a caution. I will let you know if anything specific comes of it.

ITunes & Recovery Refuses to Update with 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.