Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Splitting keyboard to control different octaves in the same channel strip?

To the MainStage community,

I use a program called "RealGuitar" for a lot of my keyboard work which basically has the part of the keyboard C5-C6 designated to special effects (strumming, picking, etc.) I'm using a keytar (AX-synth) which only effective has a range of C1-C5.

What I would like to do is have the keyboard play normally from C1-B3, but have C4-C5 actually send MIDI an octave higher to be the equivalent of C5-C6 so that I can still take advantage of using the special effects without having to affect the octave range of C1-B3. Is this possible with MainStage 3?

Allo

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 8:15 PM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Allo-Allo

A single channel strip can only have one range, so duplicate the channel strip in the same patch(select the channel strip, copy by pressing command>C and paste, command>V). In instrument channel strip inspector select the layer editor tab and set the ranges of the two channel strips. The first to C1-B3 and the second to C4-C5. You can drag the ends of the layer, click on the up/down arrows, or type in the values.

Next, choose the second channel strip and select the MIDI input tab>transpose +12. That should do it.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 30, 2015 7:45 AM in response to lifenoise

Does this create two instances of the instrument?

Would that double the amount of samples loaded?

If you were using keys to change articulations, would one channel strip control the other? I wouldn't think.

I am trying to do a similar thing, but I want to set up the bottom few keys to control the articulations of Session Horns while i play the rest of the keyboard the the normal octave. Best I could do was trick MS into thinking the drum pads on controller were part of the keyboard, but I would like to control it from the actual keys.

LK

Splitting keyboard to control different octaves in the same channel strip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.