Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos can't open library from network share

Hi all,

I have a Mac Mini connected to a promise R4 storage that I use for network sharing.

My iPhotos Library was stored on it and I was able to open it from my iMac and my Macbook Pro with iPhoto over the network.

I've upgraded my Mac Mini to 10.10.3 and so to Photos for Mac.

The iPhotos Library has been upgraded to Photos and I am able to open it on the Mac Mini.

But I'am no more able to open it over the network with Photos for Mac from my iMac or my Macbook Pro.

I get the following message :

"The library could not be opened. Photos has attempted to repair the library 'Photos Library', but it is unable to open it."

Is there a workaround to be able to open the Photos library over the network ?

Thanks.

Yannick

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 12:43 AM

No, and it's a fluke that you have managed to use iPhoto in that way as it's not supported either.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

Note the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

The Library needs to be on a locally mounted disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 12:43 AM in response to Yansolo

No, and it's a fluke that you have managed to use iPhoto in that way as it's not supported either.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

Note the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

The Library needs to be on a locally mounted disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Apr 13, 2015 1:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your answer,

The article doesn't say that it's not supported.

But iPhotos lets you the possibility to open it and it's working fine with not too big libraries.

With Photos for Mac, it seems to be another issue. The error does not say that it's not supported to open a library over the network but that it was not able to open it.

So is it a bug ?

Apr 19, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Yansolo

Same for me. It $ucks 😟.

And considering it crashes every time on the computer with the drive attached I'm currently "locked out" of my entire life's photos. Backing to Aperture or Lightroom until Photos becomes a Grade A app, as currently I can't consider it the best App Apple rolled out.

Are you able to move the Library on another "locally attached" disk?

You can move it locally, and use iPhoto or Aperture on other Macs as a sort of "read only" alternative. AFAIK you can open the Photos library, but changes are not shared. iPhot and Aperture are not as "picky" on network disks.

Or you can use a local iCloud Photos library (as Apple would probably want you to do, commercially speaking), but It's a waste of space (and money) if all computers are in the same subnetwork.

Hope we can find a solution soon.

Apr 19, 2015 2:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yes, but would have been nicer a little low "fanfare" over this app.

Aperture will be abandoned, and "pure" Apple users will lose every "Pro" photo app.

Only solution will be moving away from Apple solution, losing some integrations in the step.

Hope they will reconsider "cutting" Aperture.

And for the sync: hope they will eventually implement a "local network" sync that would be faster than Mac -> internet -> iCloud -> internet -> other Mac on the same network they use now. Some apps (like Dropbox) have such optimizations inside. Can't imagine why they didn't implemented yet.

We'll see.

@Yansolo:

trying to "mock" Photos with some symlink hackery. Not the best solution (nor the stablest) but will post and keep you updated if successful or my computer eventually explode in a rampaging h€ll of fire.

Apr 19, 2015 2:05 AM in response to gi@no

gi@no wrote:

And for the sync: hope they will eventually implement a "local network" sync that would be faster than Mac -> internet -> iCloud -> internet -> other Mac on the same network they use now. Some apps (like Dropbox) have such optimizations inside.

Can't imagine why they didn't implemented yet.

'Truth' is the reason.

Syncing requires that one place of storage is considered to be the 'truth' to function correctly.

In olden days iSync used the first Mac as 'the truth'. Now iCloud uses Apples servers. Tim Cook mentioned this when iCloud was released (or maybe it was S. Jobs) - it is a fundamental part of how iCloud is different to iSync & the old ways.

That means devices only have to check in with Apples servers to get the latest data. There is no requirement for all devices to be online & up to date with this system.

Previously the Mac with the 'truth store' needed to connect to Apple & then other Macs (or devices) needed to get data from Apple. If the 'truth Mac' went offline for an extended time it could cause many conflicts when it finally went back online.

It seems like a simple feature (Mac to Mac syncing with no internet), but it isn't the way devices & connectivity is going. Devices are getting cheaper, that means more devices per person, having them on the same network is not always how the devices are used.

If you want Mac to Mac syncing use Dropbox - Apple don't need to reinvent it - it already exists. Just be aware of the inability of the Photos db to work shared like that.

(turns out it was Steve http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2011/06/07/steve-jobs-at-wwdc2011-the-truth-is- in-the-cloud/)

Apr 19, 2015 2:12 AM in response to Drew Reece

Actually I can understand, as having to check only a reliable source for changes is the most "optimized" way. But passing GB of data (If you shot RAW like me) over the internet and back seems quite useless for me. Passing db with changes over the internet + original photos in the local network (when the computers are on the same network, of course) would be way faster.

Anyway, going a little out of topic, I'm afraid. My fault.

@Yansolo

Symlink of entire library does not work. Photos notices. Photos/Me 1/0.

Trying with subfolders.

Aug 7, 2015 5:56 PM in response to thomasfromkleinmachnow

I just ran into this -- I assume you have long since solved your problem or bought Lightroom. In my case, I wasn't even able to open the network iPhoto Library because it was trying to get a newer version of iPhoto from the App Store which didn't exist. I right clicked the iPhoto Library in Finder and changed the App to open it from iPhoto to Photos. It opened the library and is now very slowly converting it. Hopefully it will work.

Nov 29, 2015 8:37 AM in response to JuneBride

JuneBride wrote:

I'm having this same issue, my NAS is not FAT32. Its partitioned with a portion formatted in the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). I want to create a new library on this partition but I keep getting an error message. Is this not possible?

Unless you can find a page on Apple.com that lists what is supported for Photo libraries on network storage your guess is as good as ours.

Apple never supported iPhoto libraries on network volumes but some people managed to make it work, perhaps the same is possible for Photos. Personally I don't think it can work or at least would require lots of attention to setup correctly - the library is complex & some networking services don't support all the features it needs. NAS's use many different software stacks to create the network services so they are difficult to compare, combine that with how badly Linux supports HFS+ volumes (NAS's don't run OS X) it makes lots of potential points of failure, Linux fails to maintain the journal on HFS+ for example.

P.S 'getting an error message' is far to vague to get practical help here, try posting a new question explaining in detail if you want better help, you would also need to go in to specifics on the NAS setup, but I don't know enough about the Photos library to help, I just know that hosting HFS+ volumes on non Mac OS X servers is a nightmare.

Photos can't open library from network share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.