Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine server authentication

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on how a client authenticates with the time machine server service. I have a network with two servers. One is an OD master and the second is a replicate. I have attached a large RAID to the OD replicate and enabled Time Machine Server on the replicate. I have about a dozen local network users that I set up on the OD Master.

When a client computer selects a disk for time machine backups, the time machine server shows up in the list of available disks. When the user selects the disk the user is asked to provide a user name and password. If the user provides their network user name and password it does not authenticate. In order to authenticate I have to manually enter the local admin user for the replicate server and the admin users password. Is there some way to set up time machine server so the network user credentials can authenticate its' use?

Thank you.

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 6:46 AM

Time Machine setup is per host, not per user. The clients have to authenticate as the owner of the AFP share on the server. That only has to be done once. The credentials are stored in the System keychain.

3 replies

Nov 25, 2016 6:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Even If i set up the user with Read/Write access in File Sharing for the Time machine folder and Time Machine I am having the same issue as video_newbie. Or even if I make the time machine folder full access to everyone i still have to manually go to each computer to sign in as an Admin? Anyway to push this to all client computers without having to do it per computer?

If I signin into time machine folder on each computer as Admin does it save admin login info in keychain that could be accessible by the user?

time machine server authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.