Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store broken after updates

OSX 10.9.5, App Store Version 1.3 (201.7)

After updating some software, the App Store broke, looks like the CSS is not loading. Furthermore, "Some updates could not be installed automatically" - the App Store icon shows "1" in red circle, in it the Update part also shows "1", but clicking on Updates icon displays nothing.

User uploaded file

I've sign out of App Store, and after than i cannot sign in back (connection failed).

User uploaded file

Also, the suport page in safari looks broken too:

User uploaded file

Please advise

Marcin

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 2:13 AM

8 replies

Apr 18, 2015 10:50 AM in response to mzagor

I Contacted Apple support and they couldn't screen share because of this problem. Their only suggestion was to use time machine and restore to before the problem began or reinstall OS X. Save everything you have been working on after the restore point To a flash drive or it will be gone. Reboot the computer and hold the Command and R keys. Follow th instructions. I restored bac to March 28th because I noticed the problem on April 3 rd. So far so good but make sure you have some time set aside to work on this.

Apr 18, 2015 8:53 PM in response to mzagor

Following the updating of a number of iPad apps on my MacBook Pro today (April 18) I had EXACTLY the same problems occur as mzagor described in an earlier post. Everything seems identical in my screen displays to the screen shots shared by mzagor, with the addition in my case of the iTunes Store not loading and throwing up error message windows stating that, "iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "init.itunes.apple.com". The certificate for this server is invalid. ..." 7 additional similar certificates follow as iTunes attempts to log in to other Apple servers.

I spent over an hour on the phone with an Apple tech, not knowing that others were having a similar issue as I. We almost got to the point of reinstalling Mavericks - but I balked at that. The well meaning tech suggested that this could be a hardware issue and that I should have the computer checked at an Apple Store (90 minutes away).

HOWEVER! on this same MacBook Pro, I can, using a DIFFERENT User login (which had been previously created) successfully log into;

- the iTunes Store,

- the App Store, and get to

- the Apple web site Support section through Safari,

without any issues or error messages and with the each of the screen displays showing up as they should. I can log into my Apple ID account without issue.

It would appear that there is a connection to the stated difficulties I am experiencing, with the act of updating apps using the App Store in Mavericks (v10.9.5)

Hopefully, the issue will be acknowledged and a solution will be found and shared quickly.

Apr 18, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Phil Townsend

Everything working as expected in a different user account narrows the issue down to your user account, which isn't something a patch or update from Apple will likely repair. And it isn't something easily tracked down.

The other issue is you are using an out-of-date version of OS X. Apple doesn't devote engineer time to old versions as they are busy with the next update of the current version and the future version of the next upgrade of OS X that will be released probably after summer.

Apr 20, 2015 12:32 AM in response to Dah•veed

I tracked down a solution in a neighbouring discussion thread that worked for me.

I deleted all files marked as not trusted from the Login Keychain window. Then, I exported VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5.cer certificate from my Login Keychain to my computer's Desktop and then deleted the file from the Keychain window.

I am now able to access the App Store with the correct screen display, along with iTunes and the Support section of the Apple web site. I no longer get the certificate error message, and I can once again log into my Apple ID account.

I sure appreciate the sharing of ideas, expertise and solutions!

Cheers

Phil

Apr 20, 2015 12:40 AM in response to Phil Townsend

That works for me (removed them all ~Verisign), but i wonder if someone from Apple could tell me (or all of us) if deleting those certificates is SAFE for us?

Is removing them has any impact on using https sites like banks or whatever? Will they "reappear" in my keychain in some time, or do i have to get them from somewhere else?

I'm asking, because for example support.apple.com was NOT WORKING with certificates, and after removing them it WAS WORKING. So there is no "alert" that i do not have a certificate and all looks safe.

If anyone knows anything about certificates, were they "broken" or "outdated" or bad in any way?

Marcin

Jun 24, 2015 6:53 AM in response to mzagor

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as 'mzagor' described. I also researched the heck out of it, and tried several suggested fixes from the Mac Support forums. The final solution was that described above (Phil Townsend on Apr 20, 2015 12:32 AM) however, I don't know if it only worked in combination with some other fixes. Basically, it comes down to cleaning up KeyChain stuff (described lots of places), and removing existing cert database files under /var/db/crls/ directory. Mac App Store and ITunes are HAPPY AGAIN! Note: I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5.

App Store broken after updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.