Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos: can't "Show Referenced File in Finder"

When I select a photo and want to make a change to the original, there is an item in the "File" menu called "Show Referenced File in Finder". This menu item is always greyed out. What's it there for if it never works?

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 7:47 AM

128 replies

Dec 11, 2017 11:12 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie -

I figured out how to stop importing (copying) pictures to the Photos Library in OS X:

User uploaded file

So now, after following those steps. I still can't access my photos through the Finder. Sure I can find the photos in the Masters folder, but that thing is a mess, there's no logical order. Also, I don't want to use or install another app for an action that should be able to be done using the native macOS software.

So in other words, I would like to find the pictures that have already been previously imported to the Photos Librabry, in order to transfer them to another folder. I can be trusted with my own photos. If I was able to take the pictures with my camera, I can be able to manage them without the Photos app.

Dec 11, 2017 3:26 PM in response to Christopher Doryan

It is very expensive to do that. You would lose all adjustments and metadata you applied. You would have to recreate your library from scratch.

If you are planning on using iCloud Photo Library, it will not work with a referenced library.

A bit background reading:

Dec 11, 2017 6:40 PM in response to léonie

léonie -

I must not be understanding what you mean.

Why is it expensive to be able to access my photos without the need of Photos? I haven't applied any adjustments and/or changed their metadata. Sure, I will have to delete the imported photos in Photos' Library, but I didn't want them imported into Photos to begin with. All I wanted was to have my photo files on my iPad transferred to my Mac, to manually move them into different external drives for backing up purposes. I don't understand why one gets sandboxed out of one's own files. I already learned about how both Photos app and Image Capture app work, yet it's not what I need. I also would go as far as to say that, probably most normal users don't want this intrusive type of software within one's one operating system.

I don't plan on ever using iCloud Photo Library, and I also don't intend to work with a referenced library. All I want is direct access to my photos. The same way I've been doing it on Windows and Linux for ages.

I don't care about ever using the Photos app, all I want is access to my photo files. I don't intend to ever use Photos app. I hate it.

Dec 28, 2017 9:49 AM in response to hokerberg

This has absolutely nothin at all to do with the subject of this thread - if you would like help start your own thread with the details of what you have and what you want - Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

If you just want to complain don't bother as it only wastes your time and the time of millions of others who actually want help

LN

Dec 11, 2017 6:58 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin -

I didn't understand what you meant with your sentence. But to be crystal clear about my intentions, I don't want Photos app to manage my photos. Since the default for importing photons on an iPad running iTunes is the Photos Library from Photos app, I'm having this horrible experience of not being in control of my own files.

Is there a way where I can set my iPad to be able to transfer my photos to my Mac without them ending up being sandboxed or managed by Photos app? I don't need Photos manager for anything. I just want control over my files.

Apr 13, 2015 9:17 AM in response to jayar

This menu item is always greyed out. What's it there for if it never works?

It will work, if you have selected a photo, where the original image file has not been imported into the Photos Library but is in the original location outside your Photos library. These reference original files can be revealed in the Finder, but not the original of photos, that are managed by Photos inside the Photos library.

When I select a photo and want to make a change to the original,

Manual changes to the original image files are not supported in Photos. This can corrupt the Photos library.

Make all edits using Photos's Edit panel.

Photos: can't "Show Referenced File in Finder"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.