Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are communities?

What are communities? Do you join them?

Please tell me all about it! Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 8:08 AM

You are already joined if you are posting here. This is a mostly user to user forum where people with problems with their computer, iPad, iPhone, or other Apple products can post their problems and then other people post to try to help them fix the problems. If you look at the main page in the link below, you will see there are specialized forums for many Apple products.

https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

If you have a problem, the link below has some suggestions for how to make a good post.

Help us help You

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 8:08 AM in response to MiniMozart

You are already joined if you are posting here. This is a mostly user to user forum where people with problems with their computer, iPad, iPhone, or other Apple products can post their problems and then other people post to try to help them fix the problems. If you look at the main page in the link below, you will see there are specialized forums for many Apple products.

https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

If you have a problem, the link below has some suggestions for how to make a good post.

Help us help You

Apr 13, 2015 8:14 AM in response to MiniMozart

Because - in order to help - we need to know your device/model/year, the OS you are running, and details of the problem(s) you are having. So it wouldn't make sense to post a question regarding an iPhone in the iMac forum. So, if you have a problem, pick the community that applies to your device/problem and then post the question there. Different people with different areas of expertise hang out in different forums.

Apr 14, 2015 8:03 AM in response to MiniMozart

EDIT . Formatting - these editors are flaky - today at least

MiniMozart wrote:

1. What are communities?
  2. Do you join them?
  3. Please tell me all about it! Thank you!
  1. Communities is a Modern Term for "Internet Forum". Should not be confused with "Social Networks" such as FaceBook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
  2. Yes, and you already have begun 'participating' by posting your questions.
  3. OK. But I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum will do a better job... it is pretty comprehensive and well written

History

The modern forum originated from bulletin boards, and so-called computer conferencing systems, and are a technological evolution of the dialup bulletin board system.[2][3] From a technological standpoint, forums or boards are web applications managing user-generated content.[3][4]

Early Internet forums could be described as a web version of an electronic mailing list or newsgroup (such as exist on Usenet); allowing people to post messages and comment on other messages. Later developments emulated the different newsgroups or individual lists, providing more than one forum, dedicated to a particular topic.[2]

Internet forums are prevalent in several developed countries. Japan posts the most[citation needed] with over two million per day on their largest forum, 2channel. China also has many millions of posts on forums such as Tianya Club.

Some of the very first forum systems were the Planet-Forum system, developed in the beginning of the 1970-s, the EIES system, first operational in 1976, and the KOM system, first operational in 1977.

One of the first forum sites, and still active today, is Delphi Forums, once called Delphi (online service). The service, with four million members, dates to 1983.

Forums perform a function similar to that of dial-up bulletin board systems and Usenet networks that were first created starting in the late 1970s.[2] Early web-based forums date back as far as 1994, with the WIT[5] project from W3 Consortium and starting from this time, many alternatives were created.[6] A sense of virtual community often develops around forums that have regular users. Technology, video games, sports, music, fashion, religion, and politics are popular areas for forum themes, but there are forums for a huge number of topics. Internet slang and image macros popular across the Internet are abundant and widely used in Internet forums.

Forum software packages are widely available on the Internet and are written in a variety of programming languages, such as PHP, Perl, Java and ASP. The configuration and records of posts can be stored in text files or in a database. Each package offers different features, from the most basic, providing text-only postings, to more advanced packages, offering multimedia support and formatting code (usually known as BBCode). Many packages can be integrated easily into an existing website to allow visitors to post comments on articles.

Several other web applications, such as weblog software, also incorporate forum features. Wordpress comments at the bottom of a blog post allow for a single-threaded discussion of any given blog post. Slashcode, on the other hand, is far more complicated, allowing fully threaded discussions and incorporating a robust moderation and meta-moderation system as well as many of the profile features available to forum users.

Some stand alone threads on forums have reached fame and notability such as the "I am lonely will anyone speak to me" thread on MovieCodec.com's forums, which was described as the "web's top hangout for lonely folk" by Wired Magazine.[7]

You're welcome

Buenos dias

ÇÇÇ

Apr 14, 2015 12:13 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

1. Why not just leave it at linking to the article?
  2. Much neater,
  3. quicker, and
  4. far less scrolling required by users who don't want to read the whole thing.
  1. Personal choice, I guess - some folks agree
  2. Pretty neat despite the funkiness of the Editors - call it an Executive Summary of the History of Internet Forums and How They Became Known as Communities
  3. Quicker to read here and then decide if one wants more, IMHO
  4. I can scroll very quickly with the ⇡ ⇣ keys and/or fn + ⇡ ⇣ keys

Apr 14, 2015 2:17 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Well, I don't intend to spend my life here, so I will generally stop checking threads which have become bloated with page long posts containing many different screenshots and formatting. There is a much less confusing and business-like way without forcing people to read and scroll for pages on end - it is totally irrelevant if you scroll quickly or not. You are publishing it for others to read - give them a choice of either proceeding to the link to read the article or not, rather than forcing them to do so. That is my humble opinion.

We shall agree to disagree so this is my last post here; the OP's questions have been answered and this is turning into another chatroom.

What are communities?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.