Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.3 Does Not Boot

After updating to 10.10.3 via the App Store it initially booted fine. But on second boot after installing I see a grey screen with progress bar. This progress bar goes half way and then a black screen appears with the laptop turned off. This loop continually happens. Mine is a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

Prior to installing I completed a disk verify and disk repair with no issues flagged up when doing this. I also repaired permissions. There was 30 GB free on the disk. It is an SSD drive.

I tried booting into Disk Utilities after the black screen appears and ran a repair but it cannot complete the repair. I also tried booting into single user mode and ran fsck -fy at the command line.

This returns an error as follows:

"Keys out of order (4, 52255)

Records 26 and 27 (0-based): offsets 0x144A and 0x14B0

Missing thread record (id = 1153962)

Missing thread record (id = 1154026)

** Rebuilding catalog B-tree.

CreateNewBTree returned -34

"Disk full error"

**The volume could not be repaired.

But my disk is not full.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 6:45 AM

1 reply

Apr 13, 2015 7:08 AM in response to erugalatha

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

10.10.3 Does Not Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.