Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest Scam To Get Your Apple Id.

Hi,

Just for sharing. Recently i've lost my ipad mini 2 wifi only(with passcode on, ios 8.2). I gone through many website try to find a way to track or recover but there's no solution except changing my apple id password for security reason. But 2 days ago someone send me a sms to my phone (since i use find my iphone apps and report as lost phone with my handphone number hope that someone will contact me). that person just mention they bought an stolen ipad from somehwere and ask me as if i were owner. Of course i replied yes and told them i would pay some money for them if they return the ipad to me. But there's no reply. The next day i got a sms stated that : LOST IPAD LOCATION HAS BEEN FOUND, PLEASE SIGN IN AND VERIFY YOU APPLE ID ON HTTP://verify.appleidlocation.com APPLE SUPPORT.

SInce i'm curious and hope can track my ipad, i log on to the web which looks exactly like apple website but its fake( its really hard to tell its fake). The page ask you to log in with your apple id and password. After key in everything they will lead you to the original apple website(even you key in whatever invalid email and password). After found out that something was wrong and i try to track the ipad using the find my iphone apps and its gone.

What i understand is with the new ios 8 eventhough u lost your apple product as long as you report as lost phone using find my iphone app, other people cannot reuse the apple product unless they know the previous owner apple id and password. Now they will use this way to get your apple id and password:

1. Get the previous owner hand phone number.

2. Send them a text message that notice them their lost product were detected and log on to an apple fake website verify.appleidlocation.com

3. After they key in the apple id and password, (Voilà, they got your apple id and password), the page will lead you to original apple website after u log in.

4. Party with your apple product.

If you have time feel free to try out that website Verify.appleid.location.com. Just type in anything for apple id and password. They will appear a message apple id verified and jump to apple original website.

Hope apple will take down the site verify.appleidlocation.com so that nobody will get cheated.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 7:16 AM

9 replies

Apr 13, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Boonaboon

Boonaboon wrote:

Hi,

Just for sharing. Recently i've lost my ipad mini 2 wifi only(with passcode on, ios 8.2). I gone through many website try to find a way to track or recover but there's no solution except changing my apple id password for security reason. But 2 days ago someone send me a sms to my phone (since i use find my iphone apps and report as lost phone with my handphone number hope that someone will contact me). that person just mention they bought an stolen ipad from somehwere and ask me as if i were owner. Of course i replied yes and told them i would pay some money for them if they return the ipad to me. But there's no reply. The next day i got a sms stated that : LOST IPAD LOCATION HAS BEEN FOUND, PLEASE SIGN IN AND VERIFY YOU APPLE ID ON HTTP://verify.appleidlocation.com APPLE SUPPORT.

SInce i'm curious and hope can track my ipad, i log on to the web which looks exactly like apple website but its fake( its really hard to tell its fake). The page ask you to log in with your apple id and password. After key in everything they will lead you to the original apple website(even you key in whatever invalid email and password). After found out that something was wrong and i try to track the ipad using the find my iphone apps and its gone.

Rule #1

NEVER follow a link in an email or SMS message.

You should have gone directly to icloud.com and signed in to check the location of your iPad. This is a social engineering attack that works successfully as planned. Here's the domain information:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=AppleIdLocation.com

Looks like the domain was created on April 9, 2015

By the way, if you use the same username/password on other websites, change those passwords as soon as you can before the bad guys take over your other accounts.

Sep 8, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Boonaboon

Yes, FYI happened to me too last month when my iPhone 6+ was stolen out of my purse in a crowd in a foreign country. I immediately knew it had happened and killed the phone using my laptop and Apple's website. But about a week later I got an "official" looking text on my new phone from Apple telling me it was found and to click the link and sign into iTunes. I immediately knew it was a scam because a) I had already killed the phone and b) there was a misspelling - they write "copyright 2015 Apples" so I had to laugh a little. I ignored it and a few days later got another text from a different U.S. phone number but this time making it seem like it came from AT&T - I'm guessing they knew my phone number and provider from the SIM card they removed. I ignored again. Well now it's been almost a month, and they actually CALLED me yesterday from a Chicago number. I don't answer unknown numbers, but they called me 17 times, including one at 2:30am, which really irritated me. Finally when they called back today, I answered it just to see who was harassing me, and they said (with an accent from the country where it was stolen) that they had recovered my iPhone 6 and would be mailing it back to me, but first they would need me to give them my Apple ID and password, so they could put it into the system. I got irritated and told him to "just mail it back to me since YOU are the one who stole it" - he paused and hung up. But I just couldn't believe they had the nerve to CALL me. I'm SO pleased Apple has created the kill switch in their phones, as it makes me an even more loyal customer.

Sep 8, 2015 11:46 AM in response to ShagCA

Thanks for the suggestion, and while you're not necessarily (but hopefully 🙂) wrong, it's my long-standing work number, so I can't change it. Hopefully now that they know I know they stole it, perhaps it scared them away. They hung up pretty abruptly, so I think they got the hint, we'll see how it goes - I hope I don't have to change a phone number I've had for almost 20 years because of this <sigh>.

Latest Scam To Get Your Apple Id.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.