Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a MiniDisplay Port Adapter reversible?

Hi,

In the pure interest of curiosity, I would like to know if on of apple's MiniDisplay Port adaptors (i.e, MDP to VGA adaptor) are reversible?

Ok, Here's what I mean;

You have an Apple Display that uses thunderbolt/MDP as the video input connection. You plug in the MDP > VGA Adaptor, into the Display's Input port.

You get a VGA cable and plug it in to a free VGA port on your PC/ MDP > VGA adaptor.

Does it work?

I am quite interested in one of these displays, and am wondering if it is possible to do this..

Thanks for your time!

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 13-inch (Mid 2010), Unibody, White

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 9:24 PM

Mini DisplayPort adapters are not reversible. They are for connecting a VGA, DVI, or HDMI display to a computer that has a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port.

There are converters for using a Mini DisplayPort (not Thunderbolt) display with a computer's DVI or HDMI port. (The HDMI version will not run a 27" display at full resolution.)

There are no converters, adapters, or cables that will make a Thunderbolt display work with a computer that has no Thunderbolt port.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 9:24 PM in response to weeowey

Mini DisplayPort adapters are not reversible. They are for connecting a VGA, DVI, or HDMI display to a computer that has a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port.

There are converters for using a Mini DisplayPort (not Thunderbolt) display with a computer's DVI or HDMI port. (The HDMI version will not run a 27" display at full resolution.)

There are no converters, adapters, or cables that will make a Thunderbolt display work with a computer that has no Thunderbolt port.

Is a MiniDisplay Port Adapter reversible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.