Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export book from iBooks Author to ePub

Hi, id like to export my book made in ibooks author to epub (to sell it in another websites) and also in .ibooks (to sell on ibooks store). I have already did the last one, but how i export it into epub? I want to sell it in kindle, but i dont know how to do it. Many thanks to you!!

Cheers

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 8:14 AM

18 replies

Jul 14, 2017 9:37 AM in response to AppsCodeCamp

I figured out a solution. 1. Use Pages to create an ePub file. 2. Import the ePub file into IBA using File -> New from ePub file, and save or export the result as xxx.ibooks. 3. Open a new ibook file using one of its ePub Templates, then copy the first chapter from the xxx.ibooks and paste it to the template chapter. 4. Create another chapter by copying the existing template chapter, and change the contents of the second chapter with those of the second chapter from the xxx.ibooks file. 5. Repeat "4." as many times as your xxx.ibooks chapters. 6. Finally, export the result as ePub file.

Jul 15, 2017 12:15 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

First of all. If your purpose is to convert the xxx.ibooks into xxx.ePub only, it is suffice to go through Steps 3 to 6.

If you have not had the xxx.ibooks yet, you need to start from Step 1. However, the ePub file from Step 1 has an (sometimes) inadmissible huge size, and the actual display in devices other than "ibooks reader" looks awful. To make the ePub file smaller and cleaner, you can use third party software, like Sigil, to wipe out those unnecessary syntaxes, but it is a formidable task. In contrast, IBA does the job nice and clean.

One more thing, you could create an ePub file directly from IBA, but the quality would be bad, in case your emphasis is on images. So using Pages to start your work and then using IBA to import the resulting ePub file keep the original quality.

Apr 15, 2015 9:04 AM in response to AppsCodeCamp

Start with Pages and create the best ePub that you can with that app. Then, import that ePub into iBA and add things like widgets, etc. These can both be sold via the iBookstore. You'll need to differentiate these in your marketing efforts. For example, call the ePub "The New Great Book of Thingamabobs" and call the iBook, "The Enhanced New Great Book of Thingamabobs"

As for Kindle, Amazon will convert ePub but you'll need to take care to make that ePub text and images only (ePub 2.1, not ePub 3). Pages will allow you to include some ePub 3 elements such as video, audio, tables, etc. These will be lost on Kindle.

What I think Apple should do is add an ePub export to iBooks Author, one that implements as much of the book in ePub 3 as possible. This would be quite interesting to see, especially if this export attempted to replicate some or all of the iBA widget effects using the ePub 3 standard. It could even be viewed as a precursor to some future iteration of iBooks Author that exported only files supported by the open ePub standard.

Aug 16, 2015 5:48 AM in response to rer45shjd78

UPDATE Now that iBooks Author can export ePub files, this solution is even simpler. Just use iBooks Author for the entire workflow. Amazon will accept ePub as input and Apple's iBookstore will accept both *.epub and *.ibooks files. Given the differences involved, you may still want to create several versions of each book. Even with *.ibooks files, the difference in screen real estate between an iPad and an iPhone may require different layouts and different templates. With *.epub files, you'll find that the iBooks.app supports more features than other ePub 3 eReaders do. One must still balance the goal of sophistication against the goal of audience reach but that is easier to manage now.

Aug 16, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Frank Lowney

Thanks Frank - I have also noted that iBooks Author can export to epub. I think you access this by using an epub template.

I have been testing out a few options before I invest a lot of time in the project so that I am less likely to have to change course later. I am converting an anatomy book into an ebook for a doctor friend and I have the original word documents that were sent to the printer for production of the hard copies. The content is largely text with illustrations and photos. My requirements are to publish to Apple and Amazon.

I would prefer to have one product that services both sites and is generic enough that it will probably be Ok for any future e-publishing that I haven't thought of yet. Also I am a mac user. I also want the internal structure of the ePub to be simple and consistent as that is likely to make it layout consistently on devices that I can't test on.

The conclusion to my tests is that for my purposes I will follow this workflow

1 - Follow the guidance of this paper Creating ePub files with Pages - Apple Support

and load the recommended template into Pages.

2 - Import the word documents into pages

3 - Reformat the text using the styles from the template and reset the pictures

4 - export as an epub from pages

5 - As I am OK with html and css, I will inspect the results by opening the epub using an application called Sigil.

I noticed that when I followed these steps the contents of the epub were nice and simple as I had hoped. If required I can make small adjustments in using sigil.

I also tested importing the word documents into iBooks Author and choosing an ePub template and then exporting to epub, In this case the contents of the epub were much more complex with apple specific elements. My preference for simplicity have caused me to conclude that iBooks Author is not the tool for this job, however others may have different requirements and a different process may well be better suited for them.

Please comment if you think I am missing something.

Export book from iBooks Author to ePub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.