Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync photos in photos library to iphone?

Before the recent update, I used to be able to choose to sync my photos in iPhotos library to my phone. (I would always carry photos taken in the past 6months on my phone.) But now I can't choose iPhotos Library/Photos Library to sync. I never keep so many photos in my camera role because I like to download them onto my mac and delete them from my phone. So I used to sync iPhoto events to my phone. Do I need to subscribe to iCloud photo sharing now...? I'm really confused.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 9:05 AM

10 replies

Apr 14, 2015 12:42 AM in response to sdtk1111

I had the same issue. My photo library is on an external hard drive. Here's how I fixed it:*

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Open Photos. Got to Preferences and make sure you click the 'Use as system photo library' button.

3. Quit Photos.

4. Open iTunes - you should now be able to select 'Photos' as your source.

Hope this works for you!

* I sync the last years worth of photos but it seems a little buggy to me - lots of erroneous images and wrong date ordering. I guess they'll fix that eventually!

May 24, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Michael Gillett

Sadly this didn't work for me. Still greyed out. When I open Itunes and click on "photos" for the iphone - all I get is a spinning circle and nothing comes up. Doesn't even show me the screen where I indicate which "events" (does it even do that anymore?) I want to download.

When I plug in my iphone to the computer Itunes automatically opens. I can't figure out how to stop that. I was able to upload photos from my phone into Photos (and wrestle with figuring out how to manage them...so difficult now). But I can't even get the photos to give me a choice of what to sync with the iphone.

Any ideas? Honestly - I think this started happening before Photos found it's way onto my computer...so not sure what the cause is.

I have an Imac and and Iphone 5. OS and IOS are current versions.

Anyone have any ideas? If not - any suggestions for something I can use to do all this without Apple's "help"?

So frustrating. Thanks for any ideas! Hate to think my iphone photos are frozen in time now.

May 24, 2015 3:05 PM in response to nrhbirdz

Think I figured out how to keep Itunes from opening automatically. But still get nothing in Itunes to sync photos.

I uploaded my photos from Iphone to Itunes also...so now they are in both Iphoto and Photo.

I suppose you can call that progress. What am I missing?

Thanks.

(Would it be better if I started a new question for this?)

May 24, 2015 10:05 PM in response to TheDoubleB

Thanks, TDB - I think I have managed to get itunes to use my photos ap to sync photos to my iphone... no real idea how I did it tho. The thing that seems to have messed it up was Itunes just couldn't bring up that screen with choices of what photos to sync.

Finally that screen came up - which makes me think it was just loading all the photos or something before it would appear. When it did, there was a choice of which library to use at the top - Iphoto or Photos. I made that Photos. I tried once or twice without success, and kept trying different things before finally, as I type, it seems to loading the photos from Photos. Taking a long time - lots of photos. Hope the outcome is a success. Hope my phone battery lasts through it as I'm using wifi.

I came very close to just using iphoto - but sooner or later I suppose it will go away so figured I may as well dive in and figure this new thing out. I still don't like things about it - but will just have to get used to it....I hope to get to a point where I don't grumble every time I attempt to upload photos. 🙂

How to sync photos in photos library to iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.