Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I move photos from one album to another album, Photos doesn't remove the photos from the previous album like iPhoto did.

When I move photos from one album to another album, Photos doesn't remove the photos from the previous album like iPhoto did. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 9:42 AM

15 replies

Apr 13, 2015 9:47 AM in response to neckley2070

Photos doesn't remove the photos form the previous album like iPhoto did. Any thoughts?

Dragging between albums adds a photo to the album, but does not remove it from the other album, because the same photo can be in many albums.

That is the difference between albums and events (in iPhoto). In iPhoto any photo is in exactly one event.

Photos does not have events, only albums. You could consider the one "Photos" view to be the single event that Photos has.

Apr 13, 2015 9:47 AM in response to neckley2070

As WC said you're confusing Albums in Photos with Events in iPhoto. In Photos Moments are the new Events and are based on date.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When the library was first migrated there was a folder created titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events are represented by an album in the folder.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

However, if you want to remove a photo from one album after adding it to another you'll have to go back to the source album and delete it from there.

User uploaded file

Apr 15, 2015 3:02 AM in response to taylorsm

taylorsm wrote:

Then why does Photos label that page as iPhoto Events instead of iPhotos Albums?

It isn't a page; it is a folder. It doesn't contain any iPhotos Albums; it contains iPhoto Events imported as albums. But if you wish, you can rename the folder to anything you want.

Either way, if I open up on album/event, how do I move that photo to another location? If i show sidebar then I can go into the album and drag and drop into another album, but I can't seem to do that without the sidebar.

Then why hide the sidebar?

Apr 15, 2015 8:34 AM in response to taylorsm

taylorsm wrote:

Yea, wonder why it isn't visible on default then, guessing because it looks nicer without it. So aesthetic over function.

Not sure what you mean by the "visible on default" thing. Cut & paste are present on the Edit menu for just about every app in the OS X universe, and the ⌘X and ⌘C keyboard shortcuts are about as standardized as it gets.

What would you like to see done differently in this respect in Photos (or any other app)? 😕

Apr 15, 2015 9:02 AM in response to R C-R

if you open Photos, the sidebar is not visible as default. You must go to view and select 'show sidebar'. That is what not visible by default means.

So in order to quickly move photos from one album to another, you must go to 'show sidebar' and then you can drag and drop, otherwise you must do what you said, go into album, select photo, copy, exit album, go into destination album, paste. Not as simple as the drag and drop.

Apr 15, 2015 9:36 AM in response to taylorsm

Sorry. Since you were responding to pureweaker's post about using cut & paste, I assumed you were talking about that, not the sidebar.

As for why the sidebar isn't visible by default, only Apple knows the answer to that. But it is simple enough to show or hide it with the command+option+S keyboard shortcut, so once you know how to unhide it, you should have no problems with drag & drop, right?

Apr 15, 2015 9:49 AM in response to taylorsm

Being able to drag an image and drop it elsewhere has been and is available in a lot of apple programs without the need of extra steps.

But never is iPhoto between albums. Albums in iPhoto are like playlists in iTunes. Dragging a track from Playlist A to Playlist B does not remove it from Playlist A. Same with albums in iPhoto and Photos. That's because those apps are based on databases and are not file management oriented like other apps.

When I move photos from one album to another album, Photos doesn't remove the photos from the previous album like iPhoto did.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.